Genevieve L. Utah

Dear Future President

A letter about the importance of conserving the environment.

Congratulations on being elected. I think there are a lot of important issues that need to be addressed in this country but one that really stands out to me is our environment. We are destroying our beautiful planet more and more every year. And unfortunately, it is not going to be reversed. This is an urgent matter that we must take care of immediately.

Some suggestions as to go about this, both small and big, include: giving people who drive reduced emission cars, insurance breaks, free parking, etc. Producing more inexpensive emission free cars is a great incentive for people to look into buying these environmentally friendly cars. I also think it would be a good idea to put strict regulations on emissions from big manufacturers. According to treehuger.com 110 million Americans are living in such high levels of air pollution that the federal government considers it to be a health issue.

Another issue that we have to be more conscious about is our water use. We as a society spend way too much water on things such as our lawns. This is something that we must conserve as it is crucial for all of us. We must encourage people to landscape their yards. Another great way to really force people to conserve water would to be to raise water prices after a certain amount of usage.

One more big environmental issue is our national parks. We must conserve these because as soon as we turn them into urban places we will never get them back. Out of all the environmental issues this, I believe, is one of the most important things to keep safe. I hope you take these things into consideration. Sincerely, Genevieve Liston. 

Judge Memorial

Judge Memorial-Jeffreys

Students enrolled in AP English Language and Composition at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City, Utah.