Adriana Castro New York

Say no to Euthanasia

Every year, it costs U.S. taxpayers two billion dollars to shelter, euthanize, and dispose of 2.7 million animals that are homeless. Instead of spending two billion dollars on animal cruelty, we should spend it on something more useful and effective to prevent overpopulation: sterilization.

Imagine your life depends on a human being. You see that human being as a powerful, intelligent, and dominant creature. You are happy, when he/she is happy. You are sad, when he/she is sad. And so on. But then, your owner mistreats you, abuses you, not only physically but also mentally. They get bored of you and abandon you in the street or in an animal shelter, in which you will get euthanized if no one adopts you. How would you feel? Alone, worthless, rejected and miserable, right? Animals have feelings, just like us. There are many animal shelters that euthanize or “put to sleep” dogs, cats, and many other domestic animals. This has to stop, but how? Let’s make euthanization illegal.

Euthanasia is murder. “Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized.”(Pet Statistics) As a great Christian you are, I am sure you have read the Bible and agree that murder is a mortal sin. We have no right to take any living creature’s life away. "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.” (Acts 17:24) This quote means that God is the only one who has the power, the only one who provides life and takes it away, not us. In addition, God tells us to take care of our animals, “A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal” (Proverbs 12:10).

Domestic animals help us in many ways. So, why do we keep on mistreating them or getting rid of them? “Pets are good for our emotional and physical health.” (Madison County Animal Shelter) They teach us responsibility, loyalty, sharing, fitness, socialization, and unconditional love. Also, they could decrease your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, feeling of loneliness, and more. (Health Benefits of Pets) I personally experienced animals’ teachings. I grew up with hundreds of (Boxer) dogs, since my dad was a dog breeder. As I saw them grow up, I realized how innocent, playful and lovely they were, and how much they depended on us, on our love and care.

Some people think that euthanasia solves the overpopulation problem of stray dogs, cats, and other domestic animals. However, there is another solution: sterilization. Sterilizing “is an answer for stopping millions of wonderful animals from being put to sleep every year.” (The Humane Society of Greenwood) Sterilizing will prevent animals from reproducing which will help decrease overpopulation. According to the Oxford Lafayette Humane Society, every year it costs U.S. taxpayers two billion dollars to impound, shelter, euthanize, and dispose of homeless animals. Instead of spending two billion dollars on animal cruelty, we should spend it on something more useful and effective to prevent overpopulation: sterilization. 

Funding numerous non-kill animal shelters around the country will help those who are homeless or unwanted by their owner(s). We need true animal lovers, people who really care about them. Unlike other shelters claiming they love animals meanwhile they euthanize them. According to the article "Pet Statistics", owned cats and dogs are most likely to live longer, and live healthier than stray animals. By “owned”, means that someone or some people are taking care of the animal either at their home or shelter. We need a shelter in which animals could stay as long as they need, until someone adopts them.

Overall, I am writing you this letter to speak up for those who can’t. For those who can’t make a change. But we can. Making euthanasia illegal not only makes animals happy, it makes us better people.

Respectfully,

Adriana Castro