Alexandera Maryland

We Are One

My letter is about Racism and how as a country we the people need to end racism and stay united.

We Are One

As you probably know racism is a big issue. It’s a big issue that has been put off for a long time. I wanted to bring this to your attention because racism is a very serious matter and it has gotten some people in jail, some dead, and some scared for their life. The United States of America has lessened racism but has never really completely gotten rid of it. But now racism is now getting worse and we have to get it under control before it’s too late.

The population of races in the U.S.: White: 63.7, African American: 12.2, Asian: 4.7, and Hispanic: 16.3. Now this is the amount of deaths in the U.S.: White: 725.4, African American: 849.3, and other: 421.5. Now these numbers were taken in 2014, and now in 2016 these numbers are even higher. Are these numbers ok to you? These numbers came from this source http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/death-rate-by-race. Is this acceptable that these deaths were caused by some type of racism? And racism is not just caused by one race, it’s caused by all races and it’s not ok. The words “Your Racist!” seems like they are being said more than a simple “Hi”. But little do people know what the actual meaning of racism is, racism means the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. There are hundreds of racist groups and protests in America like ‘Ku Klux Klan’. Now these groups are not only discriminating another race by trying to hurt them. But some movements and groups like the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement are trying and help get equal treatment for all races. Because all lives matter, we are one, we are the American people. Other countries that are not our allies are seeing that all the different races are fighting. This shows them that we are weak. All the riots and shootings show them that America itself is taking America down. The true American saying is “ The American dream” so people all over the world can come to America and have a fresh start and get an education, a job, a house, a family. If the American people can’t do those themselves how is anyone going to do that if they come to America? How are people going to feel if the streets and stores are all messed up, police are out, and people are screaming in the streets and throwing things, saying that they are just doing a peaceful protest, over racism?

Racism can be caused by a lot of things like, xenophobia: the fear of people who are different. A need to feel ok, so one group can socially, politically and economically dominate other groups. And lack of education of this problem. The effects of racism include fear, hatred, low self-esteem, cruelty, harassment, social conflict and psychological pain. The congress even notes that racism can prevent access to social services and opportunities. So Mr. / Mrs. Future President what are you going to do about it? You can try to promote the idea that attempts to end discrimination, also you can start a movement to help end racism, like the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement. By doing this it can bring everyone together and all of these problems will be all gone.

Thank you for sitting and reading my letter on an issue that is a big problem in America. I hope you actually consider my suggestions to end this issue. There is many ways to end racism and all the problems, like the riots and violence. Get this issue under control Mr. / Mrs. Future President because if you don’t this country is going to destroy itself. All lives matter, we are one, we are the American people.

From, A 10th grader, Alexandera