Angelle

Enforce Marijuana Laws

Although the Controlled Substances Act states that cannabis is illegal, 4 states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana. Marijuana is highly addictive and can lead to abuse of the drug, which is why the CSA should be enforced.

Dear Mr/Madame President,

First, I want to congratulate you on your presidency and I hope that the next four years are legendary for all the right reasons. Secondly, it has come to my attention that recreational marijuana is legalized in 4 states and the District of Columbia despite the actions of the Controlled Substances Act. The legalization of recreational marijuana is against federal law but has yet to be enforced.

People claim that it is a boost for the economy but others say that it is harmful to society and others. With the addition of marijuana in stores, leads to the question of how easy it would for kids to get the drug. This could create major issues with teens and their safety. In Colorado, Chief Marco Vasquez says that crime rates have increased, but it canโ€™t be sure that it is because of marijuana. Nevertheless, marijuana is an addictive drug that should not be dispersed so frivolously in a community. Drug abuse is serious problem that affects not only the users but those around them in a negative way. Long term effects include: potential development of opiate abuse, relationship problems, intimate partner violence, antisocial behavior including stealing money or lying, increased welfare dependence, and greater chances of being unemployed or not getting good jobs. These effects will be more commonly present in the communities of Colorado, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, and the District of Columbia.

To solve this problem, states could be penalized for breaking federal law or an amendment could be passed to prevent it. But to arrest them under federal law  would arise the problem of ex post facto laws. To stop this, confiscation of the drug on the market would be efficient.

Enforcing the federal laws regarding recreational marijuana would help to create a more likely drug free society, beneficial to many people in these communities.

Congratulations,

Angelle M.