Jocelyn R. California

Homeless Animals

Homeless animals should be treated equally just like everybody else.They should be treated equally because they are also humans but just with 4 legs.

I am a student at Health Sciences Middle School. My topic is about Homeless animals.I am here to speak for those who can’t speak for themselves.I believe that homeless animals should be treated equally just like everybody else. Dogs and cats should be treated like humans because they are also humans but just with 4 legs.They should have a home and food. They should also  have someone who will take care of them and keep them.

This topic is important to me because I’ve seen a lot of dogs in my neighborhood and when I go to Mexico I see them everywhere and I believe you should take action for this issue by decreasing the number of homeless animals.This action is needed because it is important because dogs shouldn’t be roaming the streets because then people who devalue pets end up killing them. rSome people don´t like dogs because they are aggressive.They are aggressive because they don´t treat them or train them right.Take this in consideration for those pets who need your help cause they shouldn't be suffering because of our cruelty towards them.

Did you know that according to www.aspca.org there is about 7.6 million companion animals that enter animal shelters in the U.S every year, and 2.7 million of them are euthanized or in other words “killed”.Do you imagine that, dogs being killed just because people don’t like them or don’t want them. If people don't want their pets then they can take them to a shelter not throw them on the streets.There are about 150 million companion dogs and cats in the U.S, and about 5% of them are thrown into animal shelters every year, not counting the homeless animals that are not lucky enough to be rescued by shelters.I believe you should collect animals on the streets and take them to shelters with people who have patience for pets.We spend 39 billion dollars of tax money on jails; why not spend it on the innocent victims.It would cost $240,000 to rehabilitate the dogs that are euthanized, that´s only $150,000 more than it takes to euthanize them.

In conclusion I believe you should help those pets in need so they don't have to spend one more day in the streets.I hope you can do something about this issue.Thank you for your time and for reading my letter.

Jocelyn R.

Health Science Middle School

Health Sciences Middle School

Our young writers share their passion, questions, and solutions with you in hopes of creating a more positive and powerful dialogue during this electoral season.