Julia V. California

College Tuition or My Life

College have lead many people to success in life, but with tuition and the risk of having student loan debt can change one's lives.

Dear Future President of America,                                                                       October 24, 2016

College, one of the most greatest achievement for most people, yet it seems like a distant dream. So many people are reconsidering going to college because of the risk of being in debt and the tuition being expensive. I believe that students should have the chance to go to college, and feel worry-free from debt to tuition. College is one of the option to go after going to high school, for the most part, it help students to learn more about the profession that are out there and study more on it. Some people take the 4-year in college, some take longer, if they wish to get a degree. There are the Bachelor degree, Master degree, Associate degree, etc. the more degree you have, the more money you earned. Having a high school diploma, Associate degree and Master's degree can help you earned about $67,000, and with just a high school diploma, only $30,000. In order to go to college, the student must pay for textbooks, dorms, and just enrolling for college. College helps build up a steady life for college graduates and they make better decision. According to http://www.nea.org/home/62740.htm , college graduates make better decision after they are done with college, smoke less, commit fewer crimes, generate more tax, and reduce the need from social welfare program. Also, they have the least poverty rate if the student has a bachelor degree, according to procon.org, “The 2008 poverty rate for bachelor's degree holders was 4%, compared to a 12% poverty rate for high school graduates.” Which means college can help reduce poverty rate. Also, they are more likely to have a job, retirement, health insurance and help our country.

However, college tuition have risen since the 1970, it used cost $1,832 in current money. Currently, the cost for tuition for each person is about $30,000. Although taking student loan helps, it create debts later on. 40 million Americans have student debt loans, and America owe nearly $1.3 trillion in student loan debt. With student loan debt, it can cause financial crisis, some have delayed adults decision like marriage, some are unemployed are stay with their parents after college, and some are taking jobs that doesn’t require any degree. Even having a scholarship, some still have financial problems, and it is rare, with only 0.3% of the student have scholarship that fully cover college tuition. Also, because of student’s debt, this give the rise of tuition. I was planning to go to college after I finish high school, however, I realize that it cost money, lots of money, at least $44,113 by the year 2022 for a four year public college. Currently, my sister is still paying her debt after her graduation. I have been saving up money for college, but, by the looks of it, it would only pay parts of it.

I have a recommendation to help fix part of the college tuition. I discover that after the federal government stop funding college, tuition has risen, stated by another letter by another student. I believe that, if the federal government start funding college again, then part of tuition can be decrease. Also, it mean the increase of need of teachers, to teach the student. I am not saying college be free, not right away, I just want it to be lower enough that people will be eligible to pay their tuition. College have lead many people to be successful in life, however, with debt in their hands , some will have difficulty later on. Still, college helps students  later in life with success in their own hands,  and making a better choices in the future. Thank you for reading this letter, and congratulation Future President of America for winning the election.

Julia V.

Health Science Middle School

Health Sciences Middle School

Our young writers share their passion, questions, and solutions with you in hopes of creating a more positive and powerful dialogue during this electoral season.