Layne A. New Jersey

Violence Against Women

Stopping violence against women is important because it's affecting our women in our country and world.

Over 22 million women in the United States have been sexually abused in their lifetime. It happens everyday. It happens all over the world, and it’s not ok. We must end violence against women before it becomes even more common in everyday life.

Sexual abuse happens to a little over ⅓ (35%) of women in the world. It happens to women of all ages, mostly women who are 15-49 years of age. Usually women who are sexually abused, are sexually abused by their intimate partners. 11.5% of the 35% of the women are abused by someone different from their partners.

After women are sexually abused many experience health problems. They may physically suffer from headaches, back pain, sleep difficulties, injuries, eating disorders, and poor health overall. Mental health may be often affected as well like depression, stress disorder, sleep difficulties, eating disorders, emotional distress, and suicide attempts. These women aren’t able to be fully human. They’re not capable to do things that we need to get done.

Sexual abuse may also lead to social problems for some women or girls. They may be afraid to go out and meet new boys or men because they don’t want to relive their past. Also after a girl or women is sexually abused it could affect her family. She may not know how to trust anyone anymore, so it could affect her communication with her family or friends. She needs to be able to communicate to talk out her problems. She may not be able to get a job to support herself. She needs to be able to do those things.

People may argue that women who live in different cultures, or believe in different things may be comfortable with sexual abuse. Maybe if we told them what people, and mostly girls, are doing now-a-days to stop it. People, globally, are signing a petition to stop sexual abuse. The United States already has an act about it. If we tell women what they’re capable of in the real world, maybe they’ll want to try those things. Maybe they’re sick of being pushed around. And maybe they’ll want to stay the way they are. All we can do is try.

“Every woman who thinks she is the only victim of violence has to know that there are many more.”  -Salma Hayek. That quote is true. President, I know we have a violence against women act for our country, but we need one for the whole world. Most countries need to sign it. It’s happening all over and it must stop now. I hope you’ll do something about it because it’s time we put an end.

From one of your young citizens,

Layne A.

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.