Ethan t. Minnesota

Gun control

My letter conatains the reasons why guns shouldn't be banned or heavily restricted.

Future President

1600 pennsylvania Ave.

washington D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President:

There are many misconceptions about gun violence that makes it seem that guns should be banned such as having stricter gun laws would deter criminals from obtaining guns. As a matter of fact stricter gun laws in Mexico don't help to deter criminals of obtaining them. Gun Control or the banning of guns infringe upon the second amendment, the right for Americans to protect themselves, it also isn't what is needed, education on guns and gun safety is what is needed.

Many people believe that banning guns would keep them out of the hands criminals and lessen the amount of deaths. It is fair for people to believe this, but it is untrue because even if guns are not to be legally sold in the U.S. criminals will then still be able to obtain them. Another misconception is a majority of the deaths in the U.S. are caused by guns. In reality less people are killed by guns than people think. According to gun-control.procon.org, “Americans were 21.5 times more likely to die of heart disease”. Compared to other diseases and causes of deaths in the U.S. people killed by guns is relatively small. These are just some of the misconception that some people have about guns.

Gun control or the banning of guns would violate Americans right to protect themselves. This would violate the second amendment that the founding fathers wrote so that Americans could protect themselves, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"(Constitution, second amendment). It would be unconstitutional for the government to take away the right for people to arm themselves. It would also give the government to much power if they were to take away guns from the people, “look at why our Founding Fathers put it [the Second Amendment] there, they had lived under the tyranny of King George and they wanted to make sure that these free people in this new country would never be subjugated again”(Gun-control.procon.org). The founding fathers wrote the second amendment to protect americans from government tyranny and overreach. It is there to protect us from a tyrannical government .

Education about gun safety and how to store guns is needed to prevent accidental and suicidal gun deaths. A majority of firearm related deaths are suicides and accidents. According to everytownresearch.org “Nearly two-thirds (62 percent) of firearm deaths in the U.S. are suicides”. People need more education on guns to prevent future problems and mental illness screening to do be done before the purchase of a firearm. Many deaths happen because guns are put in unsafe places, “Everytown documented 100 unintentional gun deaths of children 14 and under”. Many of these deaths occur because of inadequate storage of a firearm. People need to be educated on how to safely store their weapons to prevent future deaths.

Gun control laws and the banning of guns violate the second amendment. As the topic becomes more controversial one of the better solutions will be education on firearms and how to use them and store them correctly. If people knew how to properly store and use firearms it could prevent many accidental deaths.

Sincerely yours,

Ethan

Almost, By A Margin of. "TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL." TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.

"Gun Violence by the Numbers." EverytownResearch.org. N.p., 19 Oct. 2016. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.

What are n.p. & n.d.? | View in list | Edit

By Contrast the United States Has the 26th Highest Suicide Rate (12.3 Suicides per 100,000 People in 2011) and the Highest Gun Ownership Rate (88.8 Guns per 100 People). [44] [45] Jim Barrett, Author for TheTruthAboutGuns.com, Stated,. "Gun Control - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.

Minnetonka HS

MSH Period 5

MHS students share their letters to the next President here.