Carlos C. Colorado

US-Mexico Border

This border has caused many problems before and it will continue to cause problems in the future for both of these countries. We need to solve these problems now before it gets worse.

Every year many families are being ripped apart due to unfair arrests because of people trying to have a better life. Many Mexicans are being perceived as criminals because when people at the border get arrested they get caught with drugs but not all the people who cross are criminals, some people are just trying to better their lives and their families lives. I believe this issue is extremely important because it is not only unfair but also it causes people’s lives to get worse because they aren’t with their families and they can’t help them. This is why I recommend the border patrol to figure out who the good-hearted immigrants are and who the real criminals are and give justice to those who really deserve it.

This is an enormous problem because it’s affecting families that live in the U.S. and Mexico, these families get separated and they start to struggle financially and emotionally without their partners and children. There are immigrants who are just looking for work but are denied that privilege even though they are willing and able to provide for the low-cost labor in the U.S. that is in such high demand.

According to Denis Poroy “...the overall numbers continue to rise. A conservative estimate based on the 2002 census put the total number of undocumented migrants in the United States at 9.3 million; since this is based on official population statistics...”. There are 9.3 billion illegal immigrants who just might be wanting to work and send money to their families so they can live better since there’s a lack in jobs and a plethora in poverty. I believe these people should be given the benefit of the doubt or even a second chance because I know what it is like to live in poverty and what it’s to live paycheck to paycheck in a country like Mexico. I have had first hand experience when it comes to these types of things and they are definitely not easy to overcome.

Some people may say that it’s too big of a risk to let that many people in and give them the benefit of the doubt but the majority of those people just want a better life. We could fix the family issue by having a program where some family members can come across the border for a certain amount of time to see their loved ones. As for the people who want to cross to look for work we could start a working visa program. A multitude of immigrants are being treated as criminals because some are being arrested for drug possession and therefore everyone that is with that person also gets arrested and they never ask them their true reason for trying to cross the border. I really do hope you look into this because it’s an issue that doesn’t just affect the families but also the individuals majorly in both countries.

Carlos C.

Concerned Citizen

Wheat Ridge HS

Composition for the College Bound English

Twelfth graders in Colorado