Angel G. Iowa

Dear Future President

Letter to the future president- Government assignment.

Today I'd like to ask you about how you feel you can help with our immigration. Immigration this last year has been a big topic not only in our country but in others. Many people say we should close our borders, some say we should have more security on our borders but not close the borders, and the last group thinks our borders should remain the way they are. What do you think we should do as a country? Do you think there needs to be any change to our country's borders, or do you think they should remain as is? 

In 2014, there were about 11.1 million illegal immigrants in America. The highest reported number of illegal immigrants was 12.2 million in 2007. Also, in 2014, Mexicans made up 52% of the group of illegal immigrants that were documented. These people take jobs that most of us do not want; however, people tend to claim that they take our jobs and bring no benefits to the country. 

Just a few ways that immigrants help the United States are that they open small businesses. Many immigrants that move into the United States usually don't have enough money to support themselves for long periods of time. Eventually, they need to find ways to support their family. Some opt for the route of opening their own business, which would help the American economy. Immigrants are 30% more likely to open their own business than Americans. Also, 18% of small business owners are immigrants. These businesses that immigrants start provide job opportunities to benefit the unemployed. Some immigrants will even create their own jobs and work from their homes.

There are, of course, many more ways that immigrants help the United States, but I feel like those mentioned above are the most important and beneficial ones. Immigrants also teach us about their culture, lifestyles, beliefs; thereby, making Americans more aware of the world around us. Why should we limit their abilities to enter into the United States? In the long run, we would be depriving ourselves of knowledge and world affairs. We are also limiting immigrants in removing themselves from possible oppressive countries that deprive them of basic rights. I think our border security is okay as it is, with the possibility of immigrants coming to America to better their circumstances. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Angel G.