Travis M. Virginia

Don't Fret, they aren't a threat

The discrimination of a large group of people based on their gender identity.

Dear Mr.or Mrs. President,

It is know that you are willing to fix the issues we have, but I would like to bring attention to an issue that affects my generation. Transgender bathroom rights. Many adults are fighting over this “issue” when a lot of people that are my age are having our voices drowned out. There are friends of mine in my school who are trans and no one I know is “scared” of being assaulted by them in the bathrooms. I have been following both your campaign for a while and I know that one of you support trans lives, but I hope that whoever is elected will enforce these things in school.

North Carolina has openly rejected Mr. Obama’s plan calling it a “social experiment”. Governor Forest has gone on to the record saying, “North Carolina will not stand by and let our locker rooms and high school showers be used for social experimentation at the expense of the privacy and protection of our young boys and girls.” In my opinion, he is saying that trans people are not boys and girls. It sickens me to think of how little this political man speaks of people who could be my friends. Just because something doesn’t align with your societal norms doesn’t mean you should treat them differently. If we still followed this ideology, then African-Americans and any other minorities would be treated less than “whites”. We live in a country that is supposed to be free and equal, but public discrimination is a very real problem.

Many people who aren’t in favor of the Bathroom bill are scared that men will assault women in the Female restroom. This is completely untrue though and, of the jurisdictions that have allowed the bill, a rise in sexual assault has not happened. In fact Laura Palumbo, communications director at the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, told ABC News that, “8 out of 10 cases the victim already knows the person who sexually assaulted them,” citing Justice Department statistics, “However, 64 percent of transgender people will experience sexual assault in their lifetime,” citing the a study by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and National Center for Transgender Equality. This entirely disproves the claims made by many lawmakers and politicians.

After the approval of the bill many people have openly showed their opposition. The Alabama state Attorney General has stated, “If the Obama administration tries to enforce this absurd edict, I will work with other Attorneys General to challenge it.” During this new election it is clear that entropy like this is the last thing we need. Outright defiance of the U.S. government is bad enough, but taking away others human rights is even worse. So I ask you Mr. or Madam President, what are you going to do to ensure our America is the best best one it can be.

Sincerely, Travis M.

Citations

"AL Attorney General Blasts School Bathroom Rules." - MEREDITHAZ. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

“Dead on Arrival: 12 States Reject Obama’s Transgender ..." N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Nov. 2016.

"12 States Reject Obama's Transgender Bathroom Policy." 12 States Reject Obama's Transgender Bathroom Policy. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.