Jacob T. Virginia

Letter to future president

a letter about a fair tax system

The United States is a symbol of hope, freedom, and fairness. Yet, only two of these are prevalent in the American culture. For fairness, not so much. As you already know, the tax system in the U.S. is extremely unfair because the rich pay less and the poor pay more. There are many many solutions to these unfair tax problems that only you, as president, can change.

An article from the CNN wire says that “The rich keep getting richer” (Edward J. McCaffery). Upper class citizens find loopholes into not paying taxes. Some of these loopholes include claiming their expenses, paying themselves an interest-free wage, or even reducing their income tax. It was even revealed that your current running mate only paid the “legal amount of taxes required,” (The Washington Post). Finding loopholes to not pay taxes does not exist in the middle and lower class citizen world, therefore creating an unfair tax system, and I know of ways that you might be able to help with that.

Not only does the upper class find loopholes into not paying taxes, many are actually exempt from paying them ("tax exemption”). Tax exemption just adds on to the argument that the U.S. system is unfair, which you most likely already know. When the rich are exempt from paying taxes, it creates a ripple effect. This is because the government has to get their money somehow, and if many of the rich aren’t paying, the tax rate will raise for the middle and lower classes.

There are people in this world that are trying to fix this system and coming up with solutions that could work, I believe that you will be one of those people. Recently, I had to do an editorial on an unfair tax system in my english class. In researching, I found some articles about different types of tax systems and which ones could work for the country.

The type of system we have now is a regressive tax system. This is where the rich have to pay little or no taxes, and the poor must pay high taxes (Thomas Carson and Mary). One solution I found to fix this, is a progressive tax system. In a progressive tax system the poor pay little to no taxes, and the rich pay high taxes (Thomas Carson and Mary). Another system that could work for the U.S. called proportional tax. In a proportional tax system, everyone pays the same amount of taxes no matter their class status or income (Thomas Carson and Mary).

There are many other ways you can help to reform our unfair tax system, not just the ones I have expressed to you. Furthermore, I hope to someday see a change in our tax system because of what you have done to help fix it. It may not change right away with what you will do, but in time, I feel things will turn around.

From, a person who cares

U.S. tax system: The rich keep getting richer." CNN Wire 12 Jan. 2016. Research in

Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

"Progressive Tax." Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History. Ed. Thomas Carson and Mary

Bonk. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Research in Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

"Regressive Tax." Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History. Ed. Thomas Carson and Mary

Bonk. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Student Resources in MContext. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

"tax exemption." The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™. New York: Columbia University

Press, 2016. Student Resources in Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

"Proportional Tax." Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History. Ed. Thomas Carson and Mary

Bonk. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Student Resources in Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016

Eastern View High School

AP Language & Composition

AP Language & Composition students (11th grade) from Eastern View High School in Culpeper, VA are tasked with researching platforms, crafting political cartoons or pieces of satire, and writing letters and op-eds