Meghan S. Virginia

Airport Security

Airport security has changed since 9/11, but more needs to be done to ensure our safety.

We all know that in today's world, terrorism is a problem we constantly have to face. Terrorism is something we fear daily. I know this isn’t a subject that should be taken lightly, and that is why there are things I would like you to change. Sadly, we all know that terrorism can’t be stopped completely right now, but there are ways to prevent it. A way to prevent terrorism would be through airport security.

Since September 11, 2001, airport security has changed drastically. Before 9/11, there wasn’t much of a system airports had to make sure all passengers were safe while flying. As a teenager who travels often, I have experienced security changes that airports have made over the years. Many changes have been made to ensure our safety while traveling, but that doesn’t necessarily mean passengers feel safe. Most of us know that airport security starts after you check-in your luggage and receive our boarding pass. Why should we wait until we’re halfway through the airport to go through security? A way to prevent terrorism in airports would be to have everyone go through security once they arrive at the airport. To ensure all passengers are safe, have everyone go through security a second time before they head to their gate. Having more security in airports would make me and others feel safer while traveling.

There has been so many enhancements with security airport since 9/11 that has definitely made flying safer. Airports have gone from metal detectors to body scans and enhanced pat-downs. It is crazy to think about how much security has changed, but there could be even more security that will prevent acts of terrorism in airports even more than it’s being prevented now. I know that paying for more technology is expensive, but don’t you want everyone to be safe while traveling? We do not want to experience something like 9/11 again where we lost nearly 3,000 innocent lives.

Everyone views going through security at airports as a pain, but I don’t mind going through security because I know that it will ensure my safety on a flight. As of May 2015, it was revealed that mock explosives and guns slipped past screeners 95 percent of the time. It was later found out that the agency failed to identify 73 aviation workers with potential links to terrorism. I know that this happened two years ago, but that really wasn’t that long ago. I fear having to travel when i know things like this happen. I’m not saying that I don’t trust airport security, I just think that there should be more security throughout airports.

I hope that you will take this letter into consideration. We need to enhance airport security so we don’t have anything like 9/11 again. Of course if something were to happen in an airport today, it may not be as devastating as 9/11, but that doesn’t mean it won’t break the hearts of many americans throughout the country. I know that you will make the right decision that will benefit our country.

Meghan S.

Work Cited

Seaney, Column By Rick, Ceo Of, Href, WWW.FARECOMPARE, and Farecompare. "After 9/11: Are We Safer in the Air?" ABC News. ABC News Network, 2011. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.

Poladian, Charles. "The United States After 9/11: 6 Things That Have Changed Since 2001." International Business Times. N.p., 11 Sept. 2015. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.