Haylee K. Missouri

Terrorism

My letter is about the need to end terrorism, one of the greatest problems facing society today.

Dear future president:

Did you know that terrorism is one of the greatest problems facing the world today? Terrorism is, as already stated, a global problem. It has been throughout history, and it happens to be expanding today. As you may know, terrorist groups may rise from the ashes of another terrorist group. Take ISIS for example. In 2001, ISIS had already begun. But at that point the group was known as al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI). AQI had fallen, and the group changed. Soon enough, in the years 2013 & 2014, the group was known as ISIS.

So, on the news, we watch the destruction and murders that have taken place. Imagine how it affects the people experiencing it first hand. One of the greatest reasons behind terrorism, is corruption. Alongside that, there is a lot of integration, economic imbalance, and even a double standard of education. Most of the time, this causes political, social, and military unrest. Many times, terrorism gives the result of fear.

So, we know that terrorism strikes the entire world. But the question is, how do terrorists attack? The answer is, it varies. While some use guns and tanks, others may not. Take the Attacks on September 11, 2001 as an example. The terrorists had hijacked the planes and used them to attack symbols of American pride. Others may use bombs. Many attacks, like the Boston Marathon Bombing or the Paris and Brussels attacks, were the work of suicide bombers. Even though the ways of attack may seem redundant, it is the works of terrorism.

People have always had different views on an issue. For example, some people have grown up watching the wars against terrorism, and maybe it doesn’t matter to them. Maybe someone who lives in an area with terrorism lives in fear, because maybe they won’t see another day. It’s a hard concept to grasp, as to why someone would end another’s life. But for a terrorist, it's a want for power. A want for control. In fact, in 2014 alone, 32,658 people were killed by terrorists. That was an 80% increase from 2013.

So what can we do to help? I feel that we need more brave men and women to volunteer to serve in our Armed Forces. It would help us in the time that we are engaging the fighting. We would also need better border patrol. Immigration can allow terrorism into the United States, opening a potential threat. I believe that immigration should be more heavily monitored or even run by our Armed Forces. Maybe then would the background checks be further run. This will also allow a safer country.

So, in conclusion, terrorism is an extreme problem that needs to be solved. And only, we as a nation, can solve it. We are stronger united, than falling apart divided. Our country will stand tall and give the proper response to terrorism. So, will you follow your country in this fight?

Haylee K