Bi D. Vermont

Driving Under the Influence

September 17, 2016

Dear Future President of the United States:

I believe that Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is taking away too many lives

I believe that DUI is a big and serious problem in the United States and something needs to be changed.

I am currently 14 years old, which means that in about a year I’m going to be driving. When I start driving, I want to know that the road is going to be safe with no crazy drivers that might be swerving into different lanes or doing who knows what. The first time that I drive at night, I don’t plan to get into a car crash or die. I want to know that if there are drivers who are driving under the influence, the police are going to take care of it. There are thousands of kids like me who are also going to be able to drive soon; it’s already scary enough taking on this new responsibly. We don’t need drunk drivers to worry about. I am hoping that you, our future president can make this road safe. If you look at the numbers you will see that this is a serious problem in the U.S.

As President, it is your job to care for the lives of all citizens in the U.S. Every 53 minutes there is at least one person who dies from a DUI crash, that amounts to 28 deaths each day ("Impaired Driving: Get the Facts." N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Sept. 2016. ). Think about how many deaths that is in a year. This is too many deaths happening consistently from this situation. Especially when there are ways to prevent driving under the influence. The deaths have decreased but that doesn't mean that there won't be a turning point and they will start to go back up again unless we do something about this.

A drunk driver will get arrested 1 out of the 80 times they drive under the influence. ("11 Facts About Driving Under the Influence." N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Sept. 2016. ). One thing that you could change if you became president is having better police enforcement on the road, but especially at night. Doing this would allow drunk drivers to be stopped before they injure or kill anyone, themselves included. It would prevent hundreds of deaths from happening, make the roads safer, and make other drivers a lot more comfortable driving at night. Once you are caught for DUI you are either fined, arrested, loss of license, etc. However these solutions don’t seem to be working. There are still people who drive under the influence even after they have faced consequences. We need to think of new ideas that will make drunk drivers think and realize what their actions could lead to. A way this this could work is if you imposed a law that every car in the U.S. should have a car breathalyzer. A breathalyzer is a small device that is connected to your car and used to calculate how much alcohol is in your blood stream. Having too much alcohol in your system will not allow you start your vehicle. After failing the breath tests, the amount of time you can’t start your vehicle will get longer each time. It’s like trying to break into a locked iphone, if you fail each time the phone is locked, the amount of time for trying to get back in will take longer. (@Guardian_USA. "What To Expect When You Install A Car Breathalyzer."Guardian Ignition Interlock. Shelly Wutke, 19 Feb. 2015. Web. 26 Sept. 2016.) We want you to take these and other ideas into consideration and hopefully come out with a greater outcome.

We’re looking for a president who is persistent and optimistic. We want our president to fight for us and never back down. However, we want you to leave a positive impact. By doing that you are not starting new fueds or new wars, you're finding new and positive ways to help this society. We want you make the U.S. a more positive and safer place. Show us that you are the president that we are looking for by showing us the aftermath. Show us that you really have made a difference for people who Drive Under the Influence. Talking about it is one thing but physically taking action and changing something for the better is a whole different thing.

Driving Under the Influence is a serious issue that has caused and is stilling lots a deaths. We need a president who is willing to change this. If you can change the numbers then you are the president that we have been waiting for all along.

Bi