Elma M. Illinois

Hate Speech Against Muslims

A 'hate speech" exception does not exist to the first amendment. This intends that everyday people are bullied because of what they are, or what they believe in.

Currently a 'hate speech" exception does not exist to the first amendment. This intends that everyday people are bullied because of what they are, or what they believe in. This issue must be stopped without delay. With the recent terror attacks from ISIS, a jihadist militant group The main focus of my article will be on ‘hate speech” towards muslims. Recent studies asserted that, ‘Muslims do not report ‘hate crime”, because they allegedly ‘have no confidence in the police taking it seriously.”. As shown in the statement above people are afraid of speaking out because of various reasons. This topic should be reexamined by the Supreme Court immediately once you take office.

People always say, ‘I was just expressing my opinions”, but what they don't know is that they are disobeying the first amendment. We are committing crimes everyday by bullying people, but they don't even realize it. Most people don't even say anything if they are a victim of this, because they are too scared to the outcome. A writer recounted.“I gave a talk about American Muslims and hate crimes,When I showed a picture of a burned down mosque, people in the audience were cheering.”. If someone were to do this about anything that you believe in wouldn't you be upset?

The recent terror attacks triggered the hate against Muslims. Statistics show that there were about 20-30 anti-Muslim hate crimes per year, and now there are about 500 per year. It couldn't have just sparked all of the sudden something had to have happened to spark the hate.

People believe that just because one is a muslim they are automatically a ‘terrorist”, but in reality they are the same as you (aka a human being) According to the first amendment you are not allowed to, ‘incite actions that would harm others”. Calling someone a ‘terrorist” is injurious, and could lead them to do harmful things to themselves. Researchers claim, "Ethnic immigrant groups subjected to more negative ethnophaulisms, or hate speech, were more likely to commit suicide,". So the fact that people are killing themselves because of this displays that something needs to change, and you can do so.

Your next step should be to focus on persuading the Supreme Court to add the ‘hate speech”. People should express their views on a subject, but to a certain extent. Once someone starts to make someone for whatever reason that draws the line.There have been multiple people that have tried to stop this, but no one has acted on it, but hopefully that will change once you take office. With this information given you will hopefully act on adding ‘hate speech” to the first amendment with the help of the Supreme Court.

From,

Elma

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 5/6

Ms. McGovern's Period 5/6 ELA Class