Stella C. Illinois

Letter to President

Racial equality is an important issue that needs to be looked upon.

Racial equality is a recent issue that is conflicting with other global issues. It is a very prominent issue in our generation. The next president must address this issue in order to make this world a better place. “Fully 1 in 3 blacks, 1 in 5 Hispanic Americans and 1 in 10 whites said they were treated unfairly within the last year because of perceptions of their race.” What I want to be accomplished is everyone to be racially equal and be treated fairly. Also not to be judged by race.

Many people are thinking about this issue and how it is important. In addition, “some are concerned that both candidates have supported policies that have damaged communities of color in the past.” this shows how this issue has to be looked at by the president because, it is a concern to many. Also, the candidate must be aware of the issue and why it is important.

The thing holding back the equality is that everyone has their own thought on it and don’t fully understand the concept and why it’s important. Therefore, people of different nationalities aren't all treated fairly. For example“Most Americans, only 1 in 10 of whom said the average black person is better off financially than the average white person (although more than 4 in 10 white and Hispanic respondents said the average black is about as well off as the average white).”

The president has power over finances so can change difficulties in that area. To show that, “The average three-member black household makes about 59 percent of what a similar white household makes — up from 55 percent in 1967 — but the income gap in actual dollars widened to $27,000 from $19,000.” This shows what is wrong and what can be altered.

Racial equality is a very prominent issue in our generation. The next president needs to address this in order to positively alter the way we live and think.