Andrew K. Illinois

Police Brutality Problem

My letter is about Police brutality in the U.S. and how it is the biggest problem that the next president should focus on. The United States police is the most dangerous Police force in the world with over 920 fatalities in 2015.

American police in 2014 were 18 times more lethal than Danish police and 100 times more lethal than Finnish police, plus they killed significantly more frequently than police in France, Sweden and other European countries. Police brutality in the United States is getting out of control. Compared to other states the police incidents in other countries are nothing. In 2013 the police force in Finland only fired 3 bullets, compared to the 16 bullets shot at Michael Brown on August 9, 2014. This has to stop.

In 2015 more than 920 people were killed in the hands of the police. “The Counted” is an interactive research project by “The Guardian” that tracks the number of people killed by police in the U.S. The project records other statistics involved in the killings as well, such as race, state, age and gender. According to Mapping Police Violence, black people are three times more likely to be killed by police than whites.

Black Americans are more than twice likely to be unarmed when killed during police encounters than whites. An analysis published in May found 32 percent of black people killed by police this year were unarmed, compared to 15 percent of white people and 25 percent of Hispanic and Latino people.

Excessive force is one of the most common forms of police misconduct. Excessive force reports made up more than 23 percent of all police misconduct reports in 2010, according to the Cato Institute's National Police Misconduct Reporting Project. Of those excessive force reports, an estimated 57 percent involved cases of physical use of force, which include chokeholds, baton strikes and other physical attacks. 15 percent involved firearm-related complaints.

Police brutality is at an all time high. If these actions continue more innocent lives will be taken from citizens of the United States. This shows that police Brutality is the biggest problem we are facing as a nation because too many people are dying in the hands of the police for no reason.

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 5/6

Ms. McGovern's Period 5/6 ELA Class