Cassidy Z. Montana

Mental Illness in the USA

This letter to the president is about mental health and how if effects people.

My name is Cassidy , I am 14 and I live in Billings MT. I believe mental illness is a very large problem for the U.S. 1 in 5 US adults experience mental illness in one year. 1 in 25 adults in the U.S. have a serious mental illness crippling a large part of their day to day activities. These statistics alone should tell you that the people of the U.S. need more help. Mentle health should be more well known, To see more mentle illness statictics visit: www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-By-the-Numbers

There are many outcomes of mental illness. School shootings, suicide, homicide, depression, and anxiety are all things triggered and caused by mental illness. People of all ages when hit with a mental illness make choices that are affected by the mental illness. Some alcoholics and drug addicts start doing these things because their mental illness tell them too or that they aren’t good enough, and that sends them into a depression.

The chemical composition of the brain is complex and scientists are still learning new things about the brain. New discoveries are telling us that sometimes the brain creates more then enough of certain hormones that can cause sadness or fear, even hallucinations. These hormone imbalances can be caused by certain things happening to a person. Such as their past, if they were abused, if they got layed off, so many things large and small effect the brain.

I myself have chronic Anxiety and depression ever since age 6. It is a struggle every day and sometimes I can’t even get out of bed. People need more awareness because this is still something people tend to run away from because they are uneducated on the subject.

I need you future president to take a stand and help. More awareness will be that start, make commercials, ads, billboards, and anything people will see about mental health and that you (citizen) can always get help. Then we help the scientists researching about the brain's chemical composition. Help fund them to get new equipment and kids going into the field of neuroscience.

The people of the US need you to step in and care about their mental stability. Thank you Future president for caring and listening.

Cassidy 

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/mental-health-information

http://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-By-the-Numbers

Billings Public Library

English 1

Skyview High School