Andre O. Montana

Andre's Letter to President: Gun Control

A misunderstood topic of America

Dear, Mr. president

A very large and misunderstood problem in our county is gun violence and gun control. This is very large two sided debate. On one side, there are people who believe that guns are too dangerous and are killing people. The other side are mostly fire arm owners who say, its people killing people not the guns. Mr. President please take my article in consideration for doing something about this problem.

I have family who are in law enforcement and I also hunt. I don't think guns are in any way a threat and never have been. What the real threat is, are people who intend to harm and/or kill other people with a firearm. And often times the person who intends to do this, illegally posses a firearm anyways. So, if you are to put a gun control law on citizens, so they cannot posses a firearm nothing will change. Nothing will change because these criminals will obtain firearms illegally like they already do. It is not going to make anyone safer. Like i said earlier the real danger are people.

What needs to happen is, putting stricter background checks on people. Criminal and mental background checks. For example frequent offenders and felons should definitely not be allowed to purchase a firearm. Also if someone has a serious mental health condition, for example a schizophrenic or someone with PTSD. Any of those people can be a serious danger with a firearm.

I don't think this law could actually pass due to the Second Amendment. Which states “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Regardless of that, criminals will always be able to obtain and wield firearms, legal or not. Therefor removing firearms of innocent citizens puts them in danger because they may not have a chance to defend themselves if someone comes after them.

All in all the "removal" of firearms will not work, puts people in even more danger and will kill more innocent people. What needs to happen is a better justice system to solve the proper problem which is criminal activity. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.