Leilani B. Washington

College funding down and tuition up?

Every student has the ability to succeed in college, so maybe let's make it to where they can?

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Growing up as a kid my father made a good amount of money to support me all the way through college. Then we gained a big family, supporting them and taking care of them. Now my father doesn’t make enough money to support me to go to college, but the weird thing is; he’s making the same amount of money as he did before. My mother makes about $800 a week, lives in a different state and can’t afford to send me to college. As of this day and forward, I don’t live with my family, and I am independent financially. Because of me not working, I don’t get an income to support myself completely. 

Financial aid and loans help out a great ton but with interest rising without ceasing it is just truly mind blowing. It doesn’t matter what type of loan method one uses, the end result is always higher. Also, it is not likely that most to all undergrads would be getting the financial aid or help that they need. Money is especially not guaranteed. I’m sure you are educated enough to know since you are where you are at the moment.

Seven in 10 seniors (68%) who graduated from public and nonprofit colleges in 2015 had student loan debt, with an average of $30,100 per borrower. This represents a 4% increase from the average debt of 2014 graduates. Besides that, when parents save up for their children’s college tuition, it is amounted to be worth more than one’s house! The tuition increase is only going to get worse before it gets any better. The economy is demanding for more educated people yet with the college tuition's sky-high it just makes it difficult to fulfill the needs.

Even Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, both from the 2016 Presidential Elections, agree that at some point College should be free for students seeking a higher education. Or at least starting at new and lower rate of loans for kids that are from low-income families. Some college students are already forced to take alternative routes such as financing education and acquiring jobs. “Yes, tuition payment can be postponed for a maximum of 3 years,” but the interest does not just stop; it continues.

Coming from a family that is not rich or in the high class, getting money for these events and tests is sometimes a struggle. What adds more to this struggle is that sometimes students don't get to experience these things because knowing that there families are a little tight with money, they decide to try to save the money their family has to try to pay for college and miss out on the activities high schools offer their students.

Also, many students that don't have the money to pay for college have to take out loans and finish college in debt. The worst part is that these same students can't even be completely sure that out of college they are going to find a job and be able to pay off their debt. This thought discourages a lot of very intelligent and capable students from going to college. Students should not be scared to go out into the world and make their mark but the cost of colleges and the thought of debt does just that. As our next president, I just ask that you keep the youth in our communities off the streets and into colleges that are affordable for everyone so that every student gets the same opportunity to change this world.

a concerned student

👏 APPLAUD

SHARE:

Tweet

Share by email

ISSUES:

EDUCATION COSTS

COLLEGE

Published on Oct 26, 2016

Report a problem... When should you flag content? If the user is making personal attacks, using profanity or harassing someone, please flag this content as inappropriate. We encourage different opinions, respectfully presented, as an exercise in free speech.

The Community School

Voices of TCS

Students, let your voices be heard by the next President of the United States!