Marianna Oregon

Pro Choice is Important to Ensure Women's Safety

If the United States made it illegal for women to get safe abortions then there would be thousands of unsafe, illegal abortions leading to women hurting themselves or even killing themselves. Although some say abortions are not morally right, it would be even more morally wrong to bring unwanted kids into this world.

One of the biggest conflicts in the United States for years has been Abortion. Some say that it is morally wrong to kill a fetus and some believe that it’s the woman's right to decide what they want to do. As the leader of our country, it is your job to make sure that everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone can do whatever they want with their bodies.

When rules are set that make it illegal for women to get abortions, it leads to women feeling forced to go to extremes to get rid of a fetus. In the article “The Impact of Illegal Abortions” by OBOS Abortion Contributors, they write that, “The number of illegal abortions in the United States during the 1950s and 1960s range[d] from 200,000 to 1.2 million per year. Prior to Roe v. Wade, as many as 5,000 American women died annually as a direct result of unsafe abortions.” If abortions were to become illegal we would regress to a time like that of the 1950’s where women all over were harming or even killing themselves because they didn’t have the choice to end their pregnancy in a medically safe way. Making abortions illegal would bring harm to women and become an even more morally wrong problem.

If a women is not ready to have a baby, she simply should not have a baby. The baby is more likely to have a worse life if it is unwanted. In the article “When Pregnancies are Unwanted” by Nancy Felipe Russo, she stated “Both unintended and unwanted childbearing can have negative health, social, and psychological consequences. Health problems include greater chances for illness and death for both mother and child. In addition, such childbearing has been linked with a variety of social problems, including divorce, poverty, child abuse, and juvenile delinquency”(Russo 1). It is proven by many studies that children coming from unwanted pregnancies will have a worse life and more problems. We shouldn’t be forcing women to have babies that will end up having bad lifes. It is not fair to the kids.

There are girls who get pregnant at a young age and their bodies are not even physically ready to have a baby. Young people should not be bringing kids into this world because they are in fact still kids and by giving them no other choice than to have the baby, you are making the rest of their life revolve around this unwanted infant. One question I have is, when a women is raped and winds up pregnant would she still be forced to keep this baby who every time she would look at it, it would remind her of a traumatic instance? That would not be morally right but if you gave an exception to women who were raped then all women would be saying they were raped so this system would be very flawed.

The craziest thing about this is that most of the people who are against abortion or “pro life” are men. Why would a man get any say on this topic? This does not affect them. This is just another way that men want to control womens bodies. If a women does not want the baby then the women should not have the baby. It is that simple. Even if a women is fully capable of having and taking care of the baby, if it’s not wanted then the baby will not have a good life. Plus, the world is getting so overpopulated as it is so why would we try to force people to bring more humans into this life?

The only right thing to do is to ensure that women have a safe alternative to pregnancy nation wide. Giving the option of abortion to women is not pushing that opinion on people who think it is wrong, they can easily choose to keep the baby or give it up for adoption. It gives everyone the opportunity to do what they want with their body. We should make it illegal for anywhere to ban abortions. By doing this we will make a safe environment for women to be in where they can make a good and clear decision about what they feel is best for her and this possible baby. We as the people of the United States and you, our president need to work hard to ensure women's safety on this topic by funding Planned Parenthood nation wide, and making sure that the next supreme court is one that is “pro choice”. By doing this we will create a safe environment for all women.

Marianna

Jefferson HS

Jefferson HS Students

10th,11th, and 12th grade students at Jefferson HS in Portland Oregon.