Nadiyah California

Safety should not be a Privilege.

This is America. We aren't the bystanders.

Dear Mr. or Mme. President,

I don't think that it's any secret that many voters were not happy with their options this year. Whether they were right or wrong in their opinions, they were entitled to them. They're also to get away from it all, to seek refuge from other countries to leave from an undesirable political situation upon them. There's a huge 'Move to Canada if *candidate* wins!' movement, but that's exactly what a refugee is. It might be an Black American who fears being shot; a Jewish American confronting antisemitism; or a Mexican American who faces severe discrimination because of widespread and incorrect assumptions. These are all terrible situations to be in, and it is perfectly understandable as to why one would leave. One should not have to fear for their safety in the country that he or she loves.

But why is it that Americans are the only ones who are allowed refuge?

War torn countries have millions of people, including young children, who live their lives in fear and uncertainty of pretty much everything, from their next meal to their safety. One of those children could grow up to be the person who cures cancer, or who sets foot on Mars, given the opportunity. America is one of the most powerful nations in the world- why can't we do more about this situation?

I'm not going to say that I understand how the government deals with background checks and potential terror suspects getting into the country, but there has to be more that we can do to help. We cannot sit by while people are dying. The fact that it's happening halfway across the globe shouldn't mean that we leave it to someone else.

This is America. We may have our issues, but we aren't the bystanders.

Nadiyah

Santa Clara High School

Flowers English 9 Honors

Students in Flowers English 9 Honors Class