Alex J. Illinois

Stricter Gun Laws Is Right for America

Dear Future President, My name is Alex J, a 7th grader from Chicago, IL and I strongly believe that what America needs to do as a country is put stricter gun laws in place. What I mean by gun laws isn’t just about how to stop the shootings, I’m talking about gun owners and what qualifications they need to have to own the gun. We can’t have this growing problem in America. America far succeeds any other country in gun deaths, and that needs to stop. According to the graph below, gun death in America far exceeds all the other countries by at least 22 million people. What this shows us is America needs change. We call this country the land of the free and the home of the brave, but we aren’t living up to that motto. How are people supposed to live freely if there are people being killed from these guns everyday? And how are the next generations going to be brave if they are brought into a country where gun deaths are happening constantly? It can't only be the national government that enforces these laws, it has to be the state government also. If the state government enforces this, the homicide rates will most likely be way down because if a city like Chicago has no laws about gun violence then there would be no change. If the laws were very tightly enforced then gun violence could possibly go down. If every city has these tightly enforced laws, then as a whole country our gun deaths will be way down. Though the Second amendment states that citizens have the right to bear arms, that was 1789 and the world has changed a lot since then. I believe that the Second amendment should be rewritten so that the amendment is a safer right that we can control. Not only does the Second amendment need to be rewritten, but it needs to be enforced and explained. I think that the second amendment needs to be easier to comprehend and understand. I think that a 12 year old, like myself, should be able to read it once and explain it. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my letter. Sincerely, Alex J.