Mia B. Illinois

Abortion is Up to the Women it Affects

The Choice of Abortion Should Be Left Up to the Mother Not the Government

Dear Mrs./Mr. President

My name is Mia B and I believe that abortion should be a woman's choice and solely her decision on what to do with her body when pregnant. In a case called Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decided that abortion was a fundamental right of women, making it very difficult to make laws to prohibit abortion. Many women each year choose to end their pregnancy.

There are many reasons why a pregnancy may not be wanted - the health of the mother, the health of the baby, or the circumstances under which the pregnancy came about. The mother may not be able to take care of a child or does not have a relationship with the father. The mother could be a victim of rape or, just physically unable to have a child without health concerns.

Many women already feel high levels of pressure on them everyday at work, school, or in social situations. If you, as President appoint Justices to the Supreme Court who do not believe in abortion, they may decide to take away this fundamental women’s right and put even more pressure on women’s shoulders.

Forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to full term may also take a toll on the woman’s body and she may not have the resources to be able to take care of her pregnancy or a baby. Please make careful appointments of Justices to the Supreme Court so women, not a government, are able to maintain their right to choose abortion and make decisions concerning their own body.

From,

Mia B