Kyla Esbensen Pennsylvania

Sexual Violence

The United States justice system seems to protect the predators vs. the victims.

Today, young women across the world are worried for their safety. Today, statistics show that 1 in 5 women will experience some form of sexual assault in their lifetime, with the 54% of victims being in between the ages of 18-34. However many victims neglect to come forward out of fear of being called a liar, being blamed all together, or going through a messy trial with a chance of their assaulter going free. Their fear comes from a place of fact, however, as fewer than 15% of rapists get convicted. Today it feels as though no one is safe with the justice system working in favor of these predators. These predators rarely get convicted and when they do it’s an extremely minimal sentence.

Studies show that 1 in 33 males experience some form of sexual assault in their lifetime while 1 in 4 of those victims experience it at or before the age of ten. Among those men and women studies show that 0.03% of the United States population identify as transgender 64% of which will experience sexual assault at some point in their life.

Sexual violence is alive today with almost nothing stopping these criminals, considering less than 5% of victims come forward about their assault. However even if they do come forward and do press charges there’s no justice. The United States justice system works in favor of rapist and sexual predators. In today’s news nearly everyone’s heard of Brock Turner, a 20 year old Stanford student who was CAUGHT raping an unidentified 23 year old unconscious woman behind a dumpster. He was then sentenced to only 6 months in jail but later let out 3 months early due to “good behavior”. The judge who sentenced him went easy on him because a longer sentence would have “ a severe impact” and “adverse collateral consequences” on Turner. Our justice system cares more about the emotional impact sexual assault/rape will have on the predators instead of the victims and this needs to change.