Sabrina A. Georgia

Sex trafficking

Sex trafficking in the United States needs to end today!

Sex trafficking in the United States and even Georgia alone is a big issue. This issue is putting lives in danger. The issue of young women and children being sold for the sexual pleasure of elder men is not discussed or put in the spotlight as much as other issues might be. We need to put a stop to sex trafficking today!

To begin with, we have had a major problem with slavery in the past. If you recall, back in the 1400’s many slaves lost their lives due to illnesses, lack of fresh water, and poor nutrition.Today slavery has a different name, and we call this issue Sex trafficking. This kind of slavery has been addressed toward mostly women, young adults, and children. These women and children are forced to have sexual intercourse with older men. The women and children that have to go through this may not be developed fully, and are being forced to be in rough and painful intercourse. These young women usually need medical treatment after something like this happens, but many families cannot afford a treatment that is necessary to save their life. These women, teens, and children need to have access to any medical attention that they might need to overcome the horrific tragedy that they have been through.

Secondly, the young adults that are affected by this issue are too afraid to speak up. These young women are afraid that if they tell someone, they will be abused, or even killed. They are afraid that if they tell someone, that another child or student might find out and then make fun or harass them about it. The women, young adults, and children need to feel safe to talk to anyone about this issue. We as American citizens need to feel safe when we walk out of our homes of a morning or of an evening. We shouldn’t have to worry about what might happen to us if we wear our favorite dress out to dinner with friends. We need to start having groups where women can come in, sit down, and chat about what has happened to them.

Finally, according to https://issues.abc-clio.com/Topics/Display/913395 “The number of people estimated to be victims of TIP is greater than 20 million worldwide. Various government agencies differ on the exact number of victims annually trafficked in the United States, with some estimates as high as 60,000.” President Obama said, “Human trafficking is a matter of national and global concern: it ought to concern every person because it is a debasement of our common humanity. It ought to concern very community because it tears at our social fabric. It ought to concern every business because it distorts markets. It ought to concern every nation because it endangers public health and fuels violence and organized crime. I’m talking about the injustice, the outrage, of human trafficking, which must be called by its true name-modern slavery.”

Future President of the United States, now that I have informed you about a fraction of this problem, I would love if you would take into consideration to try to fix this problem, to ensure that the citizens of this country are safe.

Sabrina A.