Madeline Minnesota

I believe that abortion should be illegal because life begins at the moment of conception, abortion is unsafe for the mother, the baby is still living even though it is very small, and the value and purpose that each child has.

I am pro-life. Women around the world have used abortion to control their reproduction at every point in history, and in every known society- regardless of its legality. It hurts my heart to even say that. Since the unprecedented case of Roe vs. Wade in 1973, there have been well over 54 million abortions (O’Neill). Contrast that to the Holocaust in which 20 million lives were lost. Do we have yet another Holocaust on our hands? If someone were to kill a pregnant woman, it would be considered a double homicide. Why isn't it considered murder to kill a child in the womb? I believe that abortion should be illegal because life begins at the moment of conception, abortion is unsafe for the mother, the baby is still living even though it is very small, and the value and purpose that each child has.

The first reason I think abortion should be illegal is because life begins at the moment of conception. Dr. Alfred Bongiovanni from the University of Pennsylvania says that, “I submit that human life is present throughout this entire sequence from conception to adulthood and that any interruption at any point throughout this time constitutes a termination of human life.” A lot of people who think that life does not begin at the moment of conception are rejecting these scientific truths. A lot of people think that the baby is just tissue and it doesn't matter. “The life of a child in the womb should be protected by laws aimed at preserving human rights." (Milligan) I think that this is unfair in many ways, especially to the baby. Even though the child is so small, it still deserves an opportunity to live. It's saddens me to think that people do not consider an unborn child a human being worth protecting. Society has twisted our minds into thinking that abortion is not that big of a deal and that the baby is just tissue and it’s not important, but in reality it is.

The second reason I think abortion should be illegal is that abortion is unsafe for the mother. An abortion hurts the mother physically because there can be heavy bleeding, infection, damage to cervix, scarring of the uterine lining and the uterus, damage to other organs, and in some cases, death. To have an abortion, not only hurts the woman physically, but also psychologically. The American Pregnancy Association says that, “Emotional and psychological effects following abortion are more common than physical side effects and can range from mild regret to more serious complications such as depression.” Abortion is a serious mechanism for dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. Side effects of abortion include, regret, anger, guilt, shame, anxiety, and many more serious attributes. Did you know that just three weeks after conception, the baby’s spinal cord, brain, heart, and other organs begin to form? This is when most women are just suspecting or finding out that they are pregnant? (Mayo Clinic)

The third reason I think that abortion should be illegal is because of the value and purpose that each child has. Another article that I read talks about this man who went to Chile to have lunch with one of the presidential candidates. The Chilean presidential candidate stated firmly, “The son of God, Jesus, is the most precious thing to God in whole universe. And where did God place his most precious possession? In a womb.” (Jones) To deliberately kill a child that God has placed in the womb and tampering with the safety zone created by God and meddling with the things that he loves most is such a horrible thing to do. “The womb is God’s designated place of safety, but now has become, tragically, the most unsafe place in the world.” (Jones) I believe that every child is created with a wonderful purpose and by taking away that life, is wrong.

My fourth reason I think that abortion should be illegal is that the baby is still living even though it is very small. Scientists say that, “It's crystal clear at the moment of conception, also known as fertilization, a unique organism comes into existence. Since this new life has human DNA and is the offspring of human parents, it can only be described as human life.” (TFP Student Action) People say that the fetus is just a clump of cells or that it's just a piece of tissue. Well, I say look at yourself, you also are a clump of cells and a piece of tissue, just bigger, does that give you more of a right to life than a baby inside the womb? That child could grow up and find a cure to cancer, that child could grow up and make an incredible scientific discovery. If I put myself in a mother’s shoes, I would give up my own life for my child, not vice versa, as to where I'd give up my child’s life to be able to live my life. People also think, just because it's their body, it means that they have the right to do what they please with it. You automatically give up that right once you share it with another person. “The unborn child is not a stomach or part of a stomach, it's a real growing person inside of their mother’s womb.” (TFP Student Action) What it does is kill a small human person with unique human DNA, rational thought, moral capacity, immortal soul, and an offspring of human parents. I think that it's not a man or woman’s right to kill an innocent child. This is why abortion is morally wrong. God put them there for a reason and a purpose. Every human life is a masterpiece created by God. There will never be another you, even if the world were to reproduce for billions of years. “There have been as many abortions in the United States as the number of people that Hitler and Stalin have killed.” (TFP Student Action) Is that really how we want to represent America? As the next president, do you really want to represent a country that commits these vile acts?

To close, I believe that abortion should be illegal because life begins at the moment of conception, abortion is unsafe for the mother, the baby is still living even though it is very small, and the value and purpose that each child has. Thank you for your time and I hope you will take my thoughts into consideration as you begin your presidency.

Milligan, Susan. "Is Abortion a Human Right?" US News. N.p., 2 Dec. 2016. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.

Jones, Mark. "God Was Placed in the Womb." Desiring God. N.p., 18 May 2016. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.

Student Action, TFP. "10 Reasons Why Abortion Is Evil and Not a Pro-Choice." TFP Student Action. N.p., 15 May 2009. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.

Abortion Contributors, Obos. "History of Abortion." Our Bodies Our Selves. N.p., 18 May 2016. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.

Day, Matthew. "'Shocking' Holocaust Study Claims Nazis Killed Up To 20 Million People." Business Insider. N.p., 4 Mar. 2013. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.

Pregnancy Association, American. "Emotional and Physical Side Effects of an Abortion." American Pregnancy Association. N.p., 3 Sept. 2016. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.

Clinic Staff, Mayo. "Pregnancy Week by Week." Mayo Clinic. N.p., 13 Jan. 2013. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.