Tariq A. Oregon

Police Brutality

The shooting has to stop.

Dear next president,

These police shootings have got to stop, immediately. You need to control your officers with more authority. “The police must obey the law while enforcing the law.” Too many people have been choked, shot, etc. in the past 5 years in the hands or behind the barrel of the ‘boys in blue’. Well, these ‘boys in blue’ need to chill out with the lethal weapons on their hips. We shouldn’t have to protest over the deaths of young African-American people every year because your officers are harming people with poor reason every time. Racial bias seems to have a really tight grip on their feelings. And they seem to not want it to loosen the grip.

The stories that I’m hearing on the news are completely unacceptable. When I heard about 18-year-old Michael Brown getting shot six times, the first thought that popped up in my head was, “Why did he shave to shoot him six times? Why did he have to shoot him at all?” Police are so called “highly trained” with fighting styles, yet they always have to draw their guns on an unarmed person… yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Another story I heard was the about the shooting of 32-year-old Philando Castile. I understand, the cops have to follow a certain procedure while stopping detaining or arresting someone. What I don’t understand is that when they ask for someone to get something out, then want to assume they’re reaching for a weapon and shoot them. Why do they do that? Out of all the training, do they get trained to do that? I’m pretty sure they’re taught to handle the situation calmly, and with care. NOT just automatically shooting because of an assumption. On top of that, the man had his daughter and his spouse sitting right there in the car with him. Do the officers ever think of how bad a young child can be traumatized from seeing their parent penetrated by a bullet right in front of them? This in a complete outrage.

Police brutality has brought an immense amount of grief to the whole african-american race. So much grief that, as you can see, they’ve rioted and protested on the streets full of hatred for every police officer they see. To the fact that they would rather beat them or torture them than to even talk to them. Here’s a problem solver: call off your boys! Teach them not to discriminate, all that dumb stuff should be left in the year 1965. It shouldn’t have happened in the first place, but you get the gist. Young african-americans like myself shouldn’t have to walk the streets worried because police could possibly stop and detain us for no good reason. Discipline your authorities the correct way, that’s all I ask.