Rachel W. Iowa

Illegal Immigration

Illegal immigration is an important issue that needs to be taken care of.

My name is Rachel and I am writing to you because I want to talk about a very important issue. Illegal immigration is a problem that our nation needs to deal with. The United States needs to control and secure our borders so that illegal immigrants cannot come in. This affects all Americans in some way. There are 11.4 million immigrants living in the United States illegally. Also each year, around 700,000 illegal immigrants enter the country and remain here. As the future president of the United States, you should solve the problems immigrants cause, control and deport illegals, and make laws concerning immigration.

Some people think that we help immigrants out with there problems by giving them a better life in the U.S., but personally I believe they cause more problems. People come to our country to find jobs, make a better life for themselves and for their families. Meaning they are taking jobs and homes that American citizens should have. Not to mention, many of these immigrants come from Mexico and the Middle East. Any of these illegals could be terrorists but we just let them into the U.S. like it’s not a big deal. Immigrants are a threat to every single person living in this country. In addition, many children are coming to the borders without parents or any family members. According to Economic Policy Institute, over 39,000 minors have entered the United States in 2013 through 2014. This is a problem because we already have so many children in foster care that there isn’t families willing to take care of illegal minors.

With over 11.4 million illegal immigrants living in the United States, we need to control and deport these immigrants. The Mexican/American border needs to be more secure. Only 40% of the U.S./Mexico border is under “operational control” which was stated by The Washington Times. If only 40% of the border is being controlled, imagine how many people are crossing illegally every day. As a matter of fact, 1 out of every 5 immigrants that enter the U.S. have some sort of criminal record. Every immigrant should go through background and criminal checks before they are let in. In conclusion, I think that illegal immigrants that have committed crimes while in the United States or are suspected of terrorism should be deported right away.

The United States may have laws concerning immigration but most of them we don’t enforce. With so many of our immigration laws not being followed and being skewed by Obama’s administration that are in favor of illegal immigration, our problems get worse. According to the American Immigration Council, there is a 650,000 permanent immigrant limit. But according to the Department of Homeland Security, in 2013 there were 990,553 permanent immigrants in the U.S. These statistics show that we are not enforcing the laws that we have and as the president you need to do that. In addition to enforcing laws, stricter laws should be put in place. Such as, any immigrant with a criminal record must be deported. Or, all immigrants should be required to get security and background checks. Also, if anyone is suspected of the following to be arrested and possibly deported: being a terrorist, committing a crime, or doing something that would harm an American citizen. Something needs to be done concerning our immigration laws.

I believe that as the future president of the United States, you will do something about the immigration problems our country faces. Some people may say that immigration is a helpful thing, but these people are threatening and harming our citizens. Illegal immigration is a very important issue that our future president needs to take care of. By controlling and deporting illegals, making stricter immigration laws, and solving the problems immigrants cause, our country's immigration system will get better. Future President is letting immigrants, including criminals and terrorists, into America illegally something you want our country to be known for? Or would you want America to be known as a country that serves and protects it’s citizens?

Rachel Wardell