Jesse M. Iowa

To protect American people we need secure borders.

Immigration is a widely known topic throughout the Untied States. I am passionate about this topic because I believe American people should be safe. With that being said I am not against immigration. I encourage people from all over the world to enter the United States, but these people should be required to enter legally. As a nation, I believe we should have more secure borders to help limit acts of terror that are committed on American soil.

The first thing we should do as a nation is to have more secure borders. 11.3 million immigrants came to the U.S.A. illegally in 2014 (Krogstad & Passel, 2015). Illegal immigrants are entering the U.S. illegally and our country is doing almost nothing to stop them. Some illegal immigrants are committing crimes on American soil. In the early 21st century, 500,000 illegal immigrants were arrested for smuggling drugs (Tokarev, 2011). Secure borders will limit the amount of drugs that enter the Untied States. Other illegal immigrants are committing crimes such as rape and murder. These wouldn’t occur if we would put a stop to illegal immigration.

Another thing the United States should do to protect our people from terrorism, is to limit the amount of Syrian refugees that enter our country. “We can query our databases until the cows come home, but nothing will show up because we have no record of that person…You can only query what you have collected,” FBI Director James Comey on the challenges of screening Syrian Refugees. With this being said, it will be a difficult task for our country to screen thousands of Syrian refugees. If we limit the amount of Syrian refugees who enter our country and do intense background checks, then we will limit the amount of terrorism in the U.S.

The future president of the United States of America should take the topic of immigration very seriously. In order to protect the people, the future president will need to secure our borders. They can either build a wall, increase border control, or do both. Secure borders will limit the amount of crime, and illegal immigrants in the United States. The future president should limit the United States intake on Syrian refugees. The president should modify the current refugee process by making it more intense. These will help limit the amount of terrorist that are in the United States, thus making America a safer place to live. The future President of the United States of America should put the American people first and make America safe again.

Jesse M.

Resources

Krogstad, J. M., Passel, J. S. (2015, November 19). 5 facts about illegal immigration in

the U.S. Retrieved from http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/19/5-

facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

Syrian Refugee Flows – homeland.house.gov. (November, 2015). Retrieved

from https://homeland.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/HomelandSecurityCommittee_Syrian_Refugee_Report.pdf

Tokarev, S. (2011, April 4). Drug trafficking. Retrieved from

http://immigrationtounitedstates.org/466-drug-trafficking.html