Caitlyn W. Texas

Why we must close the Gender Wage Gap?

Reasons that the next President close the Gender Wage Gap.

Dear Mr/Madam President,

Imagine a life where you need more money but you are unable to get more. This is a struggle women have to deal with every day. The most important issues facing our nation today is the gender wage gap. Mr/Madam President, you must close the gender wage gap. Closing the gender wage gap will give us equal opportunities, it will also improve our family lifestyles.

Closing the gender wage gap will give us equal opportunities. “ In 2015, female full-time workers made only 80 cents for every dollar earned by men, a gender wage gap of 20 percent. Pay equity may be affected by the segregation of jobs by gender and other factors. IWPR research shows that, irrespective of the level of qualification, jobs predominantly done by women pay less on average than jobs predominantly done by men.”

The 14th amendment in the Constitution also commented about our equal rights, it says “In addition, it forbids states from denying any person "life, liberty or property, without due process of law" or to "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” By directly mentioning the role of the states, the 14th Amendment greatly expanded the protection of civil rights to all Americans…” Although it does not clearly go with women, it still says we have the right to equality.

Some people say that it's not that big of a deal, but have you even heard “every cent matters”. Some women don't have a lot of money so every cent does matter to them.

People may also say that we should spend our time and money on something more important. Yes , there are a lot of other things in the world that need to be fixed but would you rather fix a road or fix a person's life.That's what is really comes down to in the end.

Closing the gender wage gap will help improve our family lifestyles.”A report from the Institute For Women’s Policy Research found that if women were paid fairly, single women’s income would rise by 13.4 percent, single mothers would earn 17 percent more, and married women’s income would increase by 6 percent. These wage increases would reduce levels of poverty for single mothers by over 50 percent. This would greatly increase the ability of women from all economic backgrounds to provide basic support to their families, including food, education, and child care.”Just by raising the mother's income the whole family will be impacted, and be given a better life.

Currently, there's no country in the entire world where a woman earns as much as a man for doing the same job. And it's going to take another 81 years for the gender gap to close, according to a new report by the World Economic Forum. The wage gap is slowly increasing but will it stay increasing? Closing this gap will make lives better and make the world equal.

Caitlyn

By Spending More Time Making up for Their Wives’ Lower Wages, Men Are Spending Countless Hours Away from Their Families. "Six Reasons Why Equal Pay Is Still Important." Center for American Progress. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Pay Equity & Discrimination." — IWPR. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.