Angela W. Texas

Police Brutality

Police brutality is becoming a big problem facing America. Especially when it involves life and death.

As a freshmen student living in Texas, it has come to my attention, as it has to all the other people in America, that there’s a problem that affects us all. For years violence has been escalating every single day in our country. What makes the matter worse is that the majority is coming from our own citizens. They're not just any citizens, they’re the people that thousands of children see heroes.

Many view police officers as authoritative figures in our community. Brave men and women that are willing to sacrifice for others around them. But how can we put our trust in those wearing a uniform, if they start pointing the gun at us?

According to police databases, at least 900 people have died at the hands of police brutality. While there are moments where self-defense comes into play, even for the police, many of these victims were unarmed at the time. Also, it’s important to consider the racial disparities. Over 200 African Americans have been killed so far this year. A 32-year-old black man was pulled over because of a faulty tail light and shot to death by a police officer. Although he had a record of bad driving, reports state that he was trying to get out is license and registration when he was shot with 4 bullets. While not all victims were necessarily innocent, there’s a better way to handle these situations without manslaughter.

From the public’s point of view, it seems that police officers are abusing their power, and this applies to all ages. In South Carolina, a girl was thrown from her desk by a public officer because she wouldn’t put away her cell phone. She wasn’t a threat, and yet she ended up with a cast, a bad carpet burn, and a swollen neck. Imagine if you were a parent discovering your child in this condition. Then imagine your reaction when you discover it was caused by an officer meant to protect your child. This young girl was lucky, however, there are hundreds of other Americans that weren’t as fortunate.

In conclusion, I think that police brutality has become a major issue because people are getting hurt by those meant to protect us. The police are supposed to be our number one contact for emergencies, however, evidence shows we have reason to doubt that. Which is why I challenge you, America’s future president, to change that. I challenge you to embellish the idea that no life is okay to take, especially by those we are taught to entrust our lives with.

Angela W.

Student, KHS