Shreya P. Texas

Why Immigration Should Be Allowed

Persuasive letter to the next President to advocating immigration laws.

Dear Mr./Madam President,

Imagine being seperated from your family .Think about those who come to our country to start a better life.Immigration is helpful to the US economy because it makes new businesses.“Immigration fuels the economy. When immigrants enter the workforce, they increase the productive capacity of the economy and raise the GDP.” said the George W. Bush Institute. Allow immigration because these people come from all over the world to ensure protection and education for their family.Since there are so many immigrants in the US,making the naturalization process easier helps many of the people who support our country and want a better future.

Immigration makes our economy stronger because it increases America’s GDP.The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office found that even under low investment assumptions, comprehensive immigration reform would increase GDP by between 0.8 percent and 1.3 percent from 2012 to 2016.Immigration also creates more jobs that natives don’t want to fill.Comprehensive immigration reform could support and create up to 900,000 new jobs within three years of reform from the increase in consumer spending, according to the Center for American Progress.Immigrants boost demand for local consumer goods. The Immigration Policy Center estimates that the purchasing power of Latinos and Asians, many of whom are immigrants, alone will reach $1.5 trillion and $775 billion.Immigrants equal most of our country.

Many people think that increased immigration drives down wages for low-skilled, native-born Americans.It doesn’t.A 2012 economic analysis found that between 1990 and 2006, immigration to the US actually drove up wages for native-born Americans without high school diplomas. The increase was between .6 percent and 1.7 percent. While that’s not enormous, that's an increase, not a decrease. On the whole, immigrants who came to the US during that period drove up the average wages of native-born Americans by .6 percent.Immigrants are consumers as well as employees. Those who are lucky enough to come to this country and find jobs don’t just cash their paychecks and hide it under the mattresses,they cycle that money back into the economy by buying goods and services; when more people are doing that, businesses are more profitable and can afford to pay workers more.

Immigration should be allowed because this is a country made of immigrants.Immigrants have always been a part of American culture. This country is so great and so diverse simply because of the fact that it was a "melting pot" for all sorts of different people looking for a good life. Sure, we're a bit overcrowded nowadays, but immigrants should not be excluded.In the Declaration it states that everyone is created equal and born with inalienable rights.. We must go with that idea and help others fulfill that dream. It would be going against the Declaration of Independence and what America stands for, Home of the Free and the Brave, if we refused to give others equality.

Congratulations on becoming the next president.It is a great honor and a huge responsibility.There are many problems in America that you must focus on,but making the naturalization process easier and the waiting shorter is more beneficial for our country.Immigrants help not hurt America.

Shreya P

.By Jie Zong and Jeanne Batalova. "College-Educated Immigrants in the United States." Migrationpolicy.org. N.p., 11 Aug. 2016. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.

John-stossel. "Make Legal Immigration Easier." Reason.com. N.p., 17 Sept. 2014. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

"Ten Ways Immigrants Help Build and Strengthen Our Economy." The White House. The White House, 12 July 2012. Web. 29 Oct. 2016

ThinkProgress. "Top 10 Reasons Why The U.S. Needs Comprehensive Immigration Reform." N.p., 10 Dec. 2012. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.