Skye S. Kentucky

Support Immigrants!

This letter is about how immigrants and refugees are very important to our country, how we must protect them, and how we must be hospitable to them.

You have just become our country's new leader, and I know that you have many things on your mind of what you want to do this four-year term, but I think one major thing that should come to your mind is immigration.  Our country is one of the main spots that immigrants and refugees come to live. Every day hundreds of immigrants and refugees come into our country seeking a better life. In 2014, there were approximately 42.4 million immigrants in the United States. Now, the number of immigrants and refugees (and their children born here) has risen to the massive number of about 81 million people. That is a startling 26% of our entire population. What I'm trying to say is that immigrants are an important part of our nation.

Some of those immigrants are refugees fleeing from war-filled countries like Syria. "In...2015, the US resettled 69,993 refugees," according to migration policy.org. There are still thousands of refugees coming to the US every year. Their countries are in many devastating wars, and in my opinion, we should protect them from these wars. I think you, as our president, should make sure our country does not get involved in these wars so that the refugees aren't living in a dangerous country again.

When immigrants and refugees come to the United States, many of them have poor health or are injured. (I know they are not allowed in if they have foreign diseases.) They also might not have enough money for healthcare. We must be hospitable to them and give them free or very cheap healthcare because it's the right thing to do.  We should treat everyone kindly.

Skye S.

NoeMiddle6Pacesetters

Pacesetters Block 1 Social Studies

Pacesetters Block 1 Social Studies