George New York

Ocean Pollution

Human waste, litter and chemicals are being thrown in the oceans which are causing animals to die and some to go extinct.

Dear Mr/Madam President,

Have you ever seen an animal that died because of pollution? Well this is a really harmful way for animals to go. Over 1 million seabirds and 100,000 sea mammals are killed by pollution every year.  It is up to the President to step up and help these animals. Many animals have already gone extinct and we can’t allow anymore of them to leave us. I wish we could travel back in time and see them, but that is not going to happen. Americans produce 10.5 million tons of plastic waste a year but recycle only 1% to 2% of it. That means 98% of plastic is scattered somewhere in our environment. An estimated 14 billion pounds of trash, the majority of it plastic, is dumped in the world's oceans every year. Plastic never goes away. And it’s increasingly finding its way into our oceans and onto our beaches. In the Los Angeles area alone, 10 metric tons of plastic fragments like grocery bags, straw, soda bottles and bottle caps are carried into the Pacific Ocean every day..

Pollution is more of a problem than some people think it is. It makes this planet more and more risky everyday, and causes many problems for us and our environment. Our animals are in danger. We really NEED TO WORK as a team to help our environment. White Abalone, Blue Whales, Right Whales, Short-tailed Albatross, Staghorn, Elkhorn Coral, Johnson's Seagrass, Sea Turtles and monk seals are disappearing because of these problems. Cruise ships dump 1 billion gallons of sewage into the ocean every year.  

Marine life is mostly a mystery to the human race. It will take hundreds of years for us to discover the species and ecosystem that lays beneath the surface of the oceans. Yet we could devastate the ocean before we have a chance to discover the mysteries that lay within it. Not to mention, our future generation might live a very difficult life due to not having any ocean. Last year, horrific pictures of an albatross chick, dead on a beach in the north Pacific, revealed the scale of the global problem. Laysan Albatrosses nesting on Midway Atoll often mistake floating plastic for food and bring it back for their chicks who die eating it.

Charles Moore, the scientist from the sea of plastic, said on his TED talk that plastic especially bottle caps are really hard to recycle so they get into our ecosystem destroying animals. Only humans can make products that nature can’t digest. We use two millions of bottle caps every five minute in the United States. He went to Long Beach Peninsula at the east of the long beach to do an experiment. He asked people to give him bottle caps and he'll pay them. He collected 1100 bottle caps.

If animals are dying like this, one day there’s going to be none so it is up to you, future President, to help clean the oceans and stop people from throwing their trash and wastes in in the ocean and even rivers. The Hudson River in Troy NY is so dirty, people can’t even go fishing in there. There are  a lot of places like this that are suffering. If you could set up an organization to collect money to clean up our waters, these animals could survive. 

George

Source cited : http://www.worldwildlife.org/threats/pollution

http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/health/case_studies/plastics.html

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.