Evan L. Massachusetts

Global Warming

In this letter I tell the president that global warming (climate change) is our biggest threat and that he must do something

Dear Future President

Climate change is a huge problem, in fact the biggest problem that the modern world faces. The president has to make strict regulations and laws for manufacturers and other industrial businesses and should also persuade other countries, such as China and India to make regulations to limit pollution and also spread awareness. Climate change is causing flooding and the damage of major infrastructure, this gives our military, other government services and coastal businesses a disadvantage. With destroyed roads and bridges they aren’t as mobile and they also have limited access to to the ocean and beaches. So you understand that we must do something.

Climate change is a very real problem, and the United States must act fast. Flooding Of Coast, Caused By Global Warming, Has Already Begun written by Justin Gillis provides information about the topic. ‘“The sea has crept up to the point that a high tide and a brisk wind are all it takes to send water pouring into streets and homes.”’ this is not normal, and nothing positive can come from it. Right now it might be manageable but it is getting worse and eventually people will have to move, “The only recourse is to invest in pumps, seawalls and other infrastructure - or leave.” Worst of all many government officials have failed to act on the problem because they don’t believe it is a real problem “Republican leaders resist the scientists' warnings that climate change is a crisis.”

For the the U.S. to act on climate change we need to be educated about it. As the quote said in the previous paragraph most republican leaders fail to act and don’t believe in it. Here Are the 56 Percent of Congressional Republicans Who Deny Climate Change by Tiffany Germain shows that at least twenty five percent of Congressional Republicans don’t believe in climate change in most states. “Much to the dismay of the global-warming lobby, a recent survey of 1,500 public middle-school and high-school science teachers from all 50 states revealed that only 30 percent of middle-school and 45 percent of high-school teachers think that global warming is caused mostly by human activities.” this is another example of americans uneducated about climate change. Children growing up with teachers and politicians that don’t believe in climate change won’t believe either, they will grow up in a world without beaches, and many animals will go from endangered to extinct. If seas get just a few degrees warmer marine species will die out. If americans don’t step up climate change it is going to get worse.

There are many opposing ideas or theories about climate change some people think that we’re not contributing to it and some think that we are. According to the Natural Disasters Are Hitting Harder, and Not Because of Global Warming article by Jacey Fortin natural disasters aren’t actually getting worse, it’s just that they mostly hit island nations like the Philippines or Haty and other developing countries, where infrastructure is weak and populations are skyrocketing “Rather than global warming, infrastructural vulnerability worsens the impacts of natural disasters”. In Fracking Does Not Contribute to Global Warming edited by Dedria Bryfonski it says that according to a study at the University of Texas fracking does not contribute to methane emissions at a higher level than set by the Environmental Protection Agency “hydraulic fracturing does not contribute to climate change—it does not contribute methane emissions at levels higher than those set by the Environmental Protection Agency”.

Global warming is caused by humans and is responsible for natural disasters. Oceans are warming, icebergs are melting and coasts are flooding. Changes in temperature cause different currents and weather patterns they also make icebergs melt flooding the coasts, some places are getting extreme droughts other places are getting tropical storms. According to Warming’s Role in Extreme Weather Quantified by Beth Mole “if the planet’s temperature rises 2 degrees Celsius over preindustrial conditions, global warming will be responsible for nearly all heat extremes and about 40 percent of heavy precipitation over land”. We are now experiencing 0.85 degrees Celsius therefore 75 percent of major heat, droughts and 18 percent of extreme precipitation is caused by global warming. "We have wasted a lot of time that should have gone into seriously looking into and developing alternative energies."Louis W. Allstadt. Even though not huge amounts of methane escape when fracking the amount that escapes is still very dangerous.

Global warming is an immense threat to the entire world, the president needs to step up and eliminate the threat. Ever since the industrial age temperatures have been rising, but with more regulations and laws we’ve seen improvement though, not enough. What we are doing now isn’t enough, we are going to see more extreme changes. We need to do more, and fast there’s only so much time. Thank you very much for taking your time to read this letter.

With great admiration and respect,

Evan Lenn  

Glenbrook Middle School

Grade 7 English Language Arts

The seventh grade students have researched, discussed, and thought carefully about a variety of issues that challenge our nation and the next president. Here are their thoughts about what the next president must do to improve our country and all of our lives.