Noelle A. Ohio

You get what you get

Child abuse should have bigger consequences

Abusing children is a world-wide problem. It happens everywhere. According to Michael Petit,

“Over the past 10 years, more than 20,000 American children are believed to have been killed in their homes by family members.” Many children are killed and hurt in their own homes. If we have bigger consequences for abusing people then the abusers in jail could have more security and the children that have been abused would be safe in their homes.

Michael Petit also said, “More than four children die everyday as a result of child abuse.”

Child abuse is increasing in time. It’s like a race against time. These children don’t deserve to be hurt to the point where they’re lying on the ground unconscious. If more laws were enforced on this act then children in these areas would be safer. Child abuse is growing in the United States. “Child abuse cases increased from 679,000 in 2013 to 702,000 in 2014.” 3,2 million reports of child abuse were investigated last year.

“30% of abused will abuse their own children.” Some people who abuse others learned from their parents because they say it happened to a family member or friend or it happened to them as a child. It could also be a result of mental health issues or disorders. If a child is sexually abused then they have a greater risk of having STDs. If this percentage grows then more and more children will be abused and among older people they will do it more as well. Child abuse needs to decrease.

Kathryn Patricelli mentioned in her article “Effects of Abuse” that the effects of getting abused is anxiety disorders, depression, alcohol abuse, and it can negatively impact your mental health and well-being. Some causes of abuse is relationship abuse, sexual abuse, and wanting the feeling of power.

Child abuse is a big problem in the world today. It happens all over the world and it’s not alright. Child abuse should have bigger consequences so the children that have been abused or are still currently getting abused feel safe where they are today.

Sincerely, Noelle

Fairfield Middle School

Mrs. Brinker's 8th grade students

The 8th graders in Mrs. Brinker's 8th grade classes have written letters to the Next President about issues they find important to their own lives and our country.