Morgan Ohio

Laws on Drugs should be harsher.

This letter is about how the government does not punish people enough for drugs and drug trafficking and how this affects a lot of people.

October 31,2016

I am from Ohio and one of my family members overdosed on drugs but the ambulance came and brung her back to life. I am very thankful for that but this is why there should be harsher laws on drugs and people need to be drug tested every month.

According to Google in the United States 47,000 people died of an overdose in 2014. Most of these people were workers who worked or students who went to school. The outcome of this would be less people dying and less people will want drugs because they will lose their job.

Also according to google 1,155 people in Ohio in 2015 died of an overdose. According to the Foundation For a Drug-World everyday in the US, 2,500 youth [12 to 17] abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time.

According to Sara Bellum on June 11,2014 at The National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens they say that drug overdoses are more common than car crashes and shootings. According to criminal.findlaw.com the sentences for drug distribution and trafficing can generaly range for 3-5 years.

The government says that drug trafficking is a felony and it is worse than drug possession but they only give you 3 to 5 years. I think that the time in jail should be longer because if the drugs had got to the dealer the dealer could have sold it to a teenager and they could have died of an overdose. And they would have been tried for second degree murder and can get life in jail. So in conclusion I think that laws on drugs should be harsher.

Morgan

Fairfield Middle School

Mrs. Brinker's 8th grade students

The 8th graders in Mrs. Brinker's 8th grade classes have written letters to the Next President about issues they find important to their own lives and our country.