K.M. Louisiana

L2P Cost of College

This letter is about the cost of college and how it is a problem for many students in the U.S. Also, addressing the next president that this is a problem they will have to deal with.

Dear next president of the United States of America,

The country is dealing with a lot of problems, problems you will have to deal with. The one that I come with in this letter is the cost of college. Many people in the country and outside of the country pay expensive tuition in order to attend college. The downside to this is that even though they go to college to pursue their dream career, not many people actually get the job that they majored in college so in a way it could be called a waste of money and time. There are many things we could possibly do to help this situation and we can not deny the fact that this is a problem.

The cost of college is very expensive. According to CNBC, “ The average cost of tuition and fees at a private, nonprofit, four-year university this school year was $31,231—up sharply from $1,832 in 1971-1972 (in current dollars). At public, four-year schools, tuition and fees cost about $9,139 this year.” The cost for college started to go up in the 1970’s. It was going up at a slow pace but started to increase. During the 1990’s the cost for college started to increase more rapidly and has continued to increase ever since. People still want to attend college even if it is expensive. So in order to pay for it they take out loans. This does not mean that everything is fine. In fact in the article, “Infographic:The side effects of college costs” it says, “Unfortunately, rising costs also influence many students to drop out of college entirely. Not only have these students already amassed large quantities of debt in their time at school, but they also have no degree to show for it – without that degree, it will take them even longer to pay off their student loans” So. many people do go to college but still end up dropping out because of the expenses college offers. But still end up having to pay.

Some people may say that college not being free is the main problem. If college was “free” it wouldn’t actually be free. In the article, “The Problem is that college isn’t free” by “The New York Times” it states, “Free college isn’t free, it simply shifts costs from students to taxpayers and caps tuition at zero.” No matter what we do I understand that some expenses must be paid for college but they do not have to be as much. The soon to be former president, Barack Obama, proposed that the first two years of college be free. But once again it won’t be free. In fact it would cost billions of dollars. Everyone has to accept the fact that college will probably never be free.

People argue that college can’t be free and expenses can not be cut down because the government needs the money. It is a very strong argument but there are other ways the government can attempt to earn money. I do not know for sure what that could possibly be but people have very creative minds and we need that in order to better the lives of the American people and rid them of their terrible expenses of college.

In conclusion, the cost of college is a serious problem in the United States of America. I hope that the next president will look into the problem. I also hope that this will turn out to be a problem that can be solved.

K.M.