Main S. New York

Syrian War or Our war?

We should accept more refugees to come into our country despite the fear of terrorism in our country.

Dear Mr. or Madam President,

My name is Main Sen Koo and I am writing to you from my Participation in Government class of the 12th grade. I was sparked by an interest in the Syrian War when I did a project on the subject in my Human Rights class last year. The Syrian War was a result of an uprising opposing the autocracy. This war has only gotten worse since it started with no clear resolution.

Years ago during the Cultural Revolution, my grandfather and his parents were forced out of their home. During this time communism was taking over China and all the land was taken over by the government. This forced my grandfather to flee the country and seek refuge in Macau. The Syrian War is similar in a way because many people are forced out of their homes. The revolution and uprising has taken countless numbers of lives as well as their homes. So far about more than 10 million people are without homes with 4.4 million people internally displaced and over 6 million refugees externally.

This issue concerns the United States because there are many rights being violated in the Syria territory. The U.S. policy in Syria is to avoid getting directly involved such as through the use of military. However we can help in different ways such as taking in a larger number of refugees than we already are taking in. The United States originated on the idea of leaving the rule of the queen to live freely. The Syrian people should have the right to escape from their country's problems and settle in the United States

We can take in a much greater amount of refugees than we are projecting which is the 10,000 by the end of this year. We can raise that amount to 500,000 people for next year. The screening process can also be decreased greatly from the 18-24 months to about maybe 3 months. I agree with not getting involved directly in the war but I think we can do a lot more for the Syrian people especially with the capacity of people that America can take. The Syrian people can be people with individual skills and talents that can further improve our own country.

The Syrian war is not our fault but we can't wait and not do what we can do to help the people affected by the war. In order for nearby countries in the EU to take in more people, America can model and lead those countries to taking in more refugees. Since those countries are a lot closer it will be easier to take in people. As of now the world is just waiting on what we do as a country for them to decide what they want to do.

Main Sen Koo

East-West School of International Studies

Government - 2nd Period

East-West School of International Studies 12th Grade Government Class