Ashlyn D. Texas

Unfair School Nurse Pay

The difference in pay for the caretakers of our youth

Future President

1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Washington D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

First, I would like to congratulate you on becoming President of the United States. It’s an honor and a privilege to have something that I believe in strongly taken into account by someone who is so valued and important to this country. I am writing this letter to recognize the unfair difference in pay between school nurses and conventional nurses, who work in hospitals or clinics.

School nurses and conventional nurses meet the same requirements for their jobs. Both must have a bachelor degree of science in nursing (BSN) and may further their education with a Master’s Degree, Doctor of Philosophy, or Doctor of Nursing Practice. In many cases, nurses choose to further their education to become competitive in the medical field.

Although both careers require the same level of education, most conventional nurses receive a higher salary than school nurses. According to U.S. News, conventional nurse make a median salary of $66,640. In contrast, school nurses make an average salary of $42,130, according to Education Center. Consider this: school nurses not only take care of but educate the future of America. They are just as important as conventional nurses, if not more, and deserve at least equal pay.

Because of the requirement level of both jobs, and the obvious pay difference, I ask you to consider a pay raise bill for school nurses. This would be a step toward fair pay for school nurses, who take care of and educate children every day.

Ashlyn D., KHS