Karen Texas

Illegal Immigration

Illegal immigration has been a problem in the U.S. for a long time, and not much has changed about it. We have done nothing to stop it and it’s getting out of hand. We urgently need to stop illegal immigration and increase border security.

Illegal immigration has been a problem in the U.S. for a long time, and not much has changed about it. Did you know that thousands of illegal immigrants pour into this country each day? We have done nothing to stop it and it’s getting out of hand. We urgently need to stop illegal immigration and increase border security.

Illegal immigrants are sneaking in the U.S. everyday, and the population is growing at a fast rate. The population growth puts strain on already scarce and vital natural resources such as water, food, and land. We cannot afford the free stuff for the illegal immigrants now and we keep adding more and more people to our welfare rolls. In 2014, there were about 11,300,000 illegal immigrants in the U.S. and that population is growing by 700,000 per year. If this continues, then our citizens will start to starve because there will not be enough resources for us. This is simply killing our country and it needs to stop now.

Terrorism has shaken people around the world, causing them to think they’re in danger. Increasing border security will reduce the amount of terror threats in our country. Most of the terrorists who have thus far been identified, including the 9/11 hijackers, were admitted into the United States through ports of entry. Some terrorists succeeded in being granted political asylum, lawful immigrant status and even, in several cases, United States citizenship before they carried out terror attacks. Ending terrorism is the right thing to do, so stop illegal immigration.

Many people in the country are unemployed and the growing population of illegal immigrants is making it worse. Bureau of Labor Statistics data show that there are about 58 million working-age (16 to 65) native-born Americans not working — unemployed or out of the labor market entirely. This simply does not mean that they don’t work hard. It’s because illegal immigrants come to the United States to take jobs that offer them greater opportunity, and they are often welcomed by U.S. employers who are able to hire them for wages lower than they would have to pay to hire U.S. workers. Work by CIS shows that immigrants are sometimes being hired at a faster rate than U.S.-born workers. Imagine how heartbreaking it would be to see a family fall into a financial crisis because an illegal immigrant took their job. Legal U.S. citizens shouldn’t have to compete against an illegal immigrant for their job.

Some people think immigration actually provides a benefit to the national economy. They argue that illegal immigrants contribute $11.6 billion in state and local taxes nation-wide. That sounds like a lot, right? In reality it’s actually not. With about 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., that $11.6 billion in taxes comes to about $1,050 per person. That's less than the average paid by citizens in even the lowest-tax states. They pay about 8% in taxes, while the average citizen has to pay about 9.48%.

Allowing illegal immigrants to easily flow into our country is slowly destroying it. Imagine what our country would be like if there were less illegal immigrants. There would be fewer loss of jobs, a better economy, and more natural resources. Please, I urge you to increase border security and stop illegal immigration. This will help out both the citizens and our country.

Karen Yin

Cedar Valley Middle School 8th Grade ELA

Mrs. Margulies's Classes

8th grade ELA classes from Cedar Valley High School