Ethan C. California

The Current Education System Still Needs Some Adjustments

Are students really getting the help they need?

Dear Mr/s. President,

The current education system needs to be adjust and improved, a lot of students aren’t getting the learning help they need to be successful. A reason why the education system should be could be improved is because different students have different learning abilities and different teacher have different teaching techniques. Students should be put in classes, not just by grade averages, but by their learning abilities because grades are not as important as understanding. According to the theprospect.net: If a student gets good grades, its result will last a while but it won’t help him/her in the future. If a student learn/understand a subject, him/her may not get good grades but they will have the knowledge to help them in the future. Another reason why the education system be adjust is because of assessments. It seems as if there are more assessments than assignments in classes. Assessments tend to stress students out and causes massive grade drops when mistakes are made. Assessments should be reduced or leveled equivalently to quiz standards, in this case it won’t be as stressful and will reduce some test anxiety for some students. If test standards were changed, then there won’t be students failing due to an assessment. These changes can help students in America succeed in school academics because it’s smoother and fitting. According to today.duke.edu: “studies simply correlate homework and achievement with no attempt to control for student differences. In 35 such studies, about 77 percent find the link between homework and achievement is positive. Most interesting, though, is these results suggest little or no relationship between homework and achievement for elementary school students. Studies also suggest that young students who are struggling in school take more time to complete homework assignments simply because these assignments are more difficult for them.” If assessments, teachers, and teaching-styles are adjust, every students in the United States, will learn and succeed without all the stress. 

Ethan C.

Guerrero, Jomari. "The Pros and Cons of Learning versus Just Getting Good Grades." The Prospect. N.p., Mar.-Apr. 2015. Web.

"Examination Stress and Test Anxiety." The Psychologist. N.p., Dec. 2008. Web.

Cooper, Harris. "Does Homework Improve Academic Achievement?" Duke Today. Opinion, Campus, Working@Duke, Sept.-Oct. 2006. Web. 

Diablo Vista Middle School

Zhebel - English 8

Zhebel - English 8