Bismah H. California

Violence is not the answer

We need to stop police brutality.

Dear Mr. President,

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of news about police brutality. Police are using their power to harm innocent civilians. They use unnecessary cruelty to inflict fear upon others. Police are supposed to be people we can rely on and feel safe around. But that's not the case anymore. Police brutality is a problem that has been going for many years. We see a lot more of it now because of people recording it. Social media has increased public awareness about this case.

What sparked my interest was when I first saw a video about a African American teenage girl getting assaulted by a white police officer. She quoted, “I feel like I was targeted because I am a person of color. It was frustrating because I knew I didn’t do anything wrong, but I couldn’t stop them.” I was appalled because I think very highly of police officers and I see them using the respect that people have to their own advantage. It's unfair how some people get special treatment while others get treatment under duress. The same golden rule applies to everyone. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Nobody is beneath each other and not many people seem to remember it.

Social media helps spread awareness about what's going on around us such as police brutality. That is not something we see when we are walking to the grocery store. Many people have social media and as a community we make comments about our opinions and what we should do when we see something that's wrong. We all unite together not caring what race we are in, where we are from, what language we speak. By having so many people against one thing we can vote for a better legislative body, protest against our unfair laws, and be the nation the founding fathers made for us. 

Bismah 

Santa Clara High School

Flowers English 9 Honors

Students in Flowers English 9 Honors Class