Kareena California

Too Much Homework

There is way too much homework given to students in middle school through high school. This is causing problems for some people.

Dear Donald Trump,

Students in middle school through high school are getting too much homework. Lots of students are getting too much homework, it can be a lot of pressure for them. Despite of all the issues students have, they are expected to finish their homework on time, which can cause a lot of stress. The amount of homework given to students should be less.

Too much homework causes stress to students in middle school through high school. First, “Stanford University found that students in high- achieving communities who spend too much time on homework experience more stress, physical health problems, a lack of balance in their lives, and alienation from society.” (Sandra Levy) If students have too much homework to do, then they won’t have enough of their own life, which can also cause health problems. Also, “New research shows that some students are doing more than three hours of homework a night -- and that all that school work may be literally making them sick.” (Amanda Enayati, CNN Contributor) If students have so many hours of homework to do, this will just make them feel so sick. Finally, “And since many of the assignments are simply busywork, learning often becomes a chore rather than a positive, constructive experience.” (Kamala Nair)

One way to solve this issue would be to give less homework to students. An example would be, teachers could reduce the amount of homework by teaching more in class. If students would have time in class to do their homework and get help, then when they go home to do their homework, they won’t be as stressed. Another example would be, when the teacher gives you the homework five minutes before class. Maybe the teacher should give you the homework in the beginning of the class, so that way if anyone needs help on any question, then the teacher can help you. The final example would be, most of the time we have so much homework from other classes and most of the time the teachers don’t explain how to do it. Students don’t understand, they don’t do it, they fail, and they get bad grades. Lots of students are getting too much homework, it can be a lot of pressure for them. The amount of homework given to students should be less. The amount of homework given to students in middle school through high school is way too much which is affecting many things. First, your health, too much stress, lots of pressure, less time to sleep, less family time, and finally there’s barely time for ourselves. Donald Trump, I have hopes from you that you will help. I hope you understand that the amount of homework is way too much.

Kareena Jakhu  

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English