Madison H. Florida

Affordable Healthcare?

This letter discusses the problems with "affordable" healthcare of today.

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

I am writing to you in order to bring to your attention the undeniable concerns about affordable healthcare. Multiple people in our country are not getting proper health care or can not afford it at all. The Affordable Care Act (or Obamacare) was intended to increase health insurance quality and affordability, lower the uninsured rate by expanding insurance coverage and reduce the costs of healthcare. Even though the ACA lowered the cost for health insurance, there are still some aspects that are financially unavailable for the average American family (or person). ACA was enacted by President Obama in 2010 yet a recent New York Times/Kaiser Family Foundation study found that over half of all Americans without health insurance—and 20 percent of Americans with health insurance—face problems dealing with medical debt. The reason for this is because clearly health care costs are too expensive and are not being evenly distributed. The average household ends up spending roughly half of their total income on health care costs. The way these expenses are being distributed is unfair and causes the increase in price and debt for the consumers. A small percent of the population is responsible for a large amount of health care costs and then there is some part of the population that spends close to nothing. Its unfair to make those who do not necessarily use health care pay for more than what they're getting or using. There is also the problem with health care insurance not being accepted in some doctor offices, and whats the point of having insurance if its going to be turned down by every doctor you go to seeking help? Health care insurance can be a hefty price especially when you can not use it or it does not contribute enough. These health care problems need strong attention and should be taken into serious consideration to obtain healthier and happier citizens.

Thank you for your time,

Madison Hernandez

Mourning Senior High School

Hoover Period #5

Honors Gov letters to the next President