Ashley G. Florida

Let's Talk About Immigration

A letter written by a 17 year old, Hispanic woman, that focuses on the issues of immigration which need to change in America.

I am a 17-year-old student at Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High in Miami, Florida and I am writing to you because I am concerned about the topic of Immigration in this nation.

You said yourself that America needs comprehensive immigration reform with a path to full and equal citizenship. However, my question to you is, how will you go even further to protect and keep families together if Congress won’t act? I know you want more eligible people to become naturalized but what are your specific actions for this?

Immigration reform is crucial for the United States. We must make changes to help people who are underprivileged and need opportunities. I believe that everyone deserves a chance to live a better life and this is why you should act immediately upon this important subject if you become the next president of the United States. Many countries are suffering and people need help. My family in Venezuela is currently going through several problems that are affecting them emotionally, mentally and even physically. Currently in Venezuela, there is a huge demonstration against the president of the country and the government; the people are demanding recall referendum. If this is only ONE country outside the U.S., imagine other countries around the world where people are struggling and looking for a gateway to a safer life. The United States is able to provide a helping hand for emigrants of those countries and you will have most of the power to guide and help others in need.

As you being the next president, I want to know what specifically do you have in mind to ensure that this nation is one that will improve their Immigration reform. I am writing to you to highlight a very big problem here in the U.S. that can’t be overlooked at. Please help this country enhance and grow as a place of opportunity and freedom like it should be.

Thank you for considering this matter,

Ashley Gil 

Mourning Senior High School

Hoover Period #1

AP GOPO Letters to the Next President