Keyone C.

Police Brutality

Police Brutality has been going on for way to long and its time for us to stand as a nation to stop it. So what are you going to do, stay silent or make a change.

Imagine if your children’s future was at risk, would you rather stay silent and let your child relive the tragedy of our ancestors history or will you do something so they have a chance to matter. Many parents have to live with the reality that their child will never have a future because they are resting 6 ft under due to police brutality. With the police being on paid leave for attacking an innocent race of people that reflects on us as american citizens, that we don’t matter, we don’t have the freedom and equality they tell us we have. It makes us think did Dr. King and the others of the strong black community die for nothing. So what are you going to do? Take a stand and form a change in our nation or remain silent and take the disrespect from the people who is suppose to protect us?

“Police brutality has had a long history in the U.S. In the early policing days acts of mass brutality were usually attributed to the poor labor workers.” 422,000 people who are at least 16 or older has experience police brutality. In 2002, 32 people was shot to death in questionable circumstances, 90% of these victims being Black and Hispanic. 25% of these victims were unarmed, 41% of black females were killed and 1,149 people were murdered by the police in 2014. As a youth growing up in this generation I feel as though we shouldn’t fear the people who are suppose to protect us and they shouldn’t fear the people they are suppose to protect either. Police brutality is such an important issue because if the matter isn’t handled at hand, America will go against the law and we’ll really be living in a world of chaos. Police brutality has been going on for way too long and we as a community has been silent for way too long. We need to rise as a nation and take a stand for what we believe in.

According to Maecee Thorton she states, (Thorton) I completely understands Maecee’s point but you have to look at it from both sides of the situation. If a family or a group of people are constantly being attacked and killed by the law, people are angry and act out of anger in this matter. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that we should fight fire with fire but I am saying you gotta give respect to receive respect and were getting tired of them killing us. No matter how easy it sounds to just let it go people refuse to go back to how things use to be and will do everything in their power to stand up for what they passionately believe in.

Our future leaders have been killed and are still being killed for what? The color of their skin? Schools are being closed down to build up more prison, is that really what we’ve come to. Our future leaders are being set up to fail. Trayvon Martin was killed because he was a black male in a hoodie who was “armed” and “suspect.” Mike Brown, attacked and choked out for what? What if your child was next? What if your child never comes home because they were killed by the law for the color of their skin. What are you going to do? Nothing or stand up for your child’s legacy. It’s your choice, make your decision.

Keyone C.

Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School

Sanchez

Upload your letter here.