Omar B. California

College Education

College tuition has been rising and it is becoming increasingly difficult for average families to pay for it. People who want education are not able to receive it. The government has the power to help further education, and it should.

College attendance after high school graduation has seen a drop in percentage the past few years. America has done a good job encouraging high school graduation, but many believe that a college education is not necessary for a better career. But the truth behind people not going to college hides behind the fact that some are unable to afford a post-secondary education and when faced with the choice opt to go straight to the working force. Public high schools are paid for thanks to government funding, however, a high school diploma is no longer viable or as reliable as it once was. As a whole country we have been advancing very rapidly, and everything is changing, but education has not changed. We can start the change by helping more people receive a higher level of education.

Roughly 60 percent of all employees are paid minimum wage. Without changing tax, the government can receive more funds to be able to deal with the cost of college. With an increase in minimum wage, the government would be receiving more money through tax without having to deal with opposition towards a change in taxation rates. This will also help those trying to help pay for college. Many students are engaged in work at the same time they attend college. People do this to pay off their tuition, room and board, books, and more. If minimum wage was increased on a federal level, students would have an easier time paying for college. No longer would it be unreasonable to atleast get a community college education.

Once the setup to allow funds for college are made, The system can be put in place. Of course it will be impossible to pay for everyone’s college fees. I propose a system that will start small, but expand at a stable rate so that the economy or the federal government is not damaged. First, paid college should only be allowed to public community colleges and then up to other levels of degrees. Privates are their own system, and their pricing is out of the government’s control, therefore it would unreasonable to have to pay for those tuitions. Next, paid college should first be awarded on a need and merit basis. After the proof of concept is proven, It can be expanded to include all students.

People always complain they America is so far behind foreign countries in education. We can change that. By giving people access to more education, This will no longer be an issue. The number one stress for students is how to pay for college. By removing this stress students can focus on their studies more. As the cliche saying goes, “Education is power”, and the government has the power to educate.

From,

A future college student